Notepad, which is built to every computer running Windows, is a useful tool for jotting down quick, well, notes or ideas that can be easily saved, accessed, and shared. That said, it is a very basic program with little in the way of formatting options. In fact, until Windows 10, it didn't even support one of the most basic formatting options in the form of Word Wrap. Luckily, Notepad++ addresses the need for a more robust yet accessible text tool.
Notepad++ can be considered a sort of jack of all trades. With this comes a sort of added complexity. Simpler programs can be found in Notepad and its alternatives, though you would be giving up features that Notepad++ offers: features like autocompletion, support for multiple languages, and a variety of formatting options.
If you're looking for a text editor more focused on having a featureset comparable to an integrated development environment, software like Geany and its alternatives might be more your speed.
- Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, html and prose - any kind of text file. You'll love the slick user interface and extraordinary features.
- VS Code is more than just a code editor, it provides the tools and extensions to compile, debug, compare, refactor, and even manage code repositories all within a...
- Extensible, cross-platform text editor with a rich ecosystem of plugins and themes.
- Vim ("Vi IMproved") is an advanced text editor that allows syntax highlighting, word completion and has a huge amount of contributed content. It also has a GUI version called GVim.
- Geany is a small and lightweight Integrated Development Environment. It was developed to provide a small and fast IDE, which has only a few dependencies from other packages.
- Official text editor of the GNOME desktop environment. Has syntax highlighting and is suitable for programming, with support for several languages. It is extensible with plugins.
- The Kate project develops two main products: KatePart, the advanced editor component which is used in numerous KDE applications requiring a text editing component, and Kate, a MDI...
- A brilliant, all-in-one macOS web editor. Everything you need to write beautiful web code.
- GNU Emacs is an extensible, customizable text editor—and more.