What is Vim?
Vim ("Vi IMproved") is an advanced text editor that allows syntax highlighting, word completion and has a huge amount of contributed content.
Vim offers several “modes” for editing with efficiency. This makes vim a non-user-friendly application but it is also a strength. The normal mode binds alphanumeric keys to task-oriented commands. The visual mode highlights text. The command-line mode offers more tools (for search&replace, defining functions, etc.)
Vim comes with complete help.
Vim Desktop Screenshots and Videos
- LightweightVim consumes less device resources compared to similar apps.
- Extensible by Plugins/ExtensionsVim can be extended with add-ons, plugins and extensions.
- Syntax HighlightingVim supports syntax highlighting for various programming and markup languages.
- Command line interfaceVim either have CLI support or is a CLI-only app.
- Works OfflineVim can be used without the need to connect to the internet.
- Support for MarkDownVim supports MarkDown for document formatting.
- Batch EditingVim allows you to select multiple items (tasks, files, images etc) and edit their properties all at once.
- No registration requiredYou can use most of the features in Vim without registration.
- PortableVim can be used from a USB stick or similar with no prior installation.
- Spell CheckingVim can detect and correct all types of grammar and spelling mistakes.
- Developed byBram Moolenaar
- LicensingOpen Source and Free product.
- RatingAverage rating of 4.4 (27 ratings)
- Alternatives195 alternatives listed
Our users have written 28 comments and reviews about Vim, and it has gotten 1286 likes
Comments and Reviews Post a comment/review
Vim platform details
Best native version is probably MacVim.app.