The ability to record and share what's going on on your screen is invaluable depending on what you need it for. Tutorials and how-to videos explaining certain functions of an operating system or an app is an easy to see example, but other uses, such as repeating steps to showcase a bug or glitch so developers can get to the root of a problem and resolve it, are also important.
Because of how easy it is to see the benefits of screen recording software, it can be daunting to choose just what kind you want. That's where Screencast-O-Matic can come in. Screencast-O-Matic is a freemium screen recorder that allows you to record up to 15 minute-long recordings for free, with support for adding multiple audio tracks. It also does not require you to download a client to use.
If you don't mind using a traditional dedicated client, there are alternatives available on Windows, macOS, Linux, as well as Android and iOS. Several of these alternatives also feature some of Screencast-O-Matic's more convenient quality-of-life and time saving features such as support for uploading directly to YouTube or Dropbox within the app alongside more intricate features that Screencast-O-Matic doesn't have like support for recording audio activity from your desktop as well.
Screen recording has come a long way. With plenty of options available to record your screen, in addition to the alternatives available above that tout convenient features, you'll find great completely free and open source alternatives to Screencast-O-Matic that can be used with added peace of mind.
- ShareX is a free and open source program that lets you capture or record any area of your screen and share it with a single press of a key. It also allows uploading images, text or other types of files to over 80 supported destinations. View 221 alternatives to ShareX
- Free • Open Source
- Google Chrome
ShareX vs Screencast-O-MaticTo be complete, all we need is for ShareX to have the option to write about videos and explain as a video lesson. For video lessons the best is screencast-o-matic after Camtasia
- SimpleScreenRecorder is a Linux screen recorder that supports X11 and OpenGL. It is easy to use, feature-rich, and has a Qt-based graphical user interface. View 98 alternatives to SimpleScreenRecorder
- Free • Open Source
SimpleScreenRecorder vs Screencast-O-MaticIts Different Yes But its Almost the same everything is user friendlyFree and Open Source linux alternative of window program like Screencast-O-Matic.i like it when it show's me
- All-in-one screen and webcam recording and video editing software with a simple but powerful workflow. View 183 alternatives to Camtasia Studio
- Paid • Proprietary
Camtasia Studio vs Screencast-O-MaticScreencast-o-matic is a small, consumer level tool, much more like TechSmith Snagit than the professional-level Camtasia Studio.
- Bandicam is a lightweight screen recorder for Windows that can capture anything on your PC screen. Also, it makes it possible to record a certain area on a PC screen, or capture a game that uses the DirectX/OpenGL/Vulkan graphic technologies. View 100 alternatives to Bandicam Screen Recorder
- Freemium • Proprietary
- Record your computer screen with audio input from Mic or Speakers. Also shows mouse clicks in addition to the regular cursor. View 121 alternatives to CamStudio
The project seems to be no longer developed. Last version, 2.7 r316, released in May 2015, can be still downloaded from SourceForge.
As described on VirusTotal comment (https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/1ddb733efb11769a05cc735d555e9a4df92c4cdf29fa47ea3864e57e67dcf884/analysis/1411383540/): if you download CamStudio from SourceForge.net, the VirusTotal results are 0/53. After installing this SF version, it immediately says that there is an update available. When the link is clicked, it takes you to camstudio.org, which has a zip file that, scanned with VirusTotal, gives you 15/53 result. So do NOT download and install the "update": it's a malware. Installer as of 09/22/2014.
- Free • Open Source