What is OBS Studio?
OBS Studio (also known as Open Broadcaster Software, or OBS) is a screen-casting and live-streaming software available across multiple platforms including macOS, Windows and Linux. Boasting features typically only found in commercial screen recording apps, OBS also provides one of the simplest workflows with an intuitive and easy-to-learn interface that makes recording and streaming a breeze. It's also totally free and open-source.
With its long standing history of continued updates and considering its ease of use and free cost, it's no wonder OBS is one of the most popular and highest recommended apps for screen-casting and live streaming.
Cross-platform (available for Mac, Windows and Linux). Encoding using H264 (x264) and AAC. Support for Intel Quick Sync Video (QSV), AMF and NVENC. Unlimited number of scenes and sources. Live RTMP streaming to Twitch, YouTube, Mixer, DailyMotion, Smashcast and more. File output to MP4, MKV or FLV. GPU-based game capture for high performance game streaming. DirectShow capture device support (webcams, capture cards, etc). Windows 8 high speed monitor capture support. Bilinear or lanczos3 resampling. Light and dark themes to support various working conditions and preferences.
OBS Studio Desktop Screenshots and Videos
OBS Studio Features
- Extensible by Plugins/ExtensionsOBS Studio can be extended with add-ons, plugins and extensions.
- Virtual camera outputUse the output from OBS Studio as your webcam's primary video source.
- Dark ModeOBS Studio supports dark mode for comfortable usage in low light conditions.
- Custom overlaysOBS Studio allows you to add custom images or videos on top of your composition.
- No TrackingOBS Studio will not track you or use your personal data.
- Ad-freeOBS Studio doesn't contain any form of external advertising.
- DRM FreeNo Digital rights management (DRM), i.e. no copy protection.
- Screen SharingYou can use OBS Studio to share your screen with your colleages or friends.
- Support for ThemesYou can use themes and templates to change the look and feel of OBS Studio.
- Transitions EffectsOBS Studio allows you to apply transition effects between two different scenes/pages using pre-loaded or custom animated transitions.
- Live Video EffectsOBS Studio lets you edit your video input in real time to apply new image values or add filters.
- Multi-streamingWith OBS Studio you can live streaming to multiple channels simultaneously.
- Works OfflineOBS Studio can be used without the need to connect to the internet.
- Hardware AcceleratedOBS Studio can use the GPU and CPU to speed up rendering, conversion, and overall performance.
- Built-in viewerOBS Studio shows you a quick preview of an image, page or file in supported formats.
- RTMP Live StreamingOBS Studio supports the Real Time Messaging Protocol to connect an encoder with a server.
- Chroma Key / Green ScreenOBS Studio supports chroma key to replace the background with an image or video backdrop.
- Live Streaming
- Screen Recording
- Capture Video
- Live Broadcasting
- Ability to select a source
- Game Streaming
- Audio Recording
- Low CPU usage
- Record desktop activity
- Twitch Integration
- Live Camera Streaming
- Extensive settings menu
- Lua scripting
- Support for Keyboard Shortcuts
- Stream Capture
- Audio Track Split
- Youtube integration
- Media Streaming
- Video Casting
- SMS Messaging
- Live recording
- Hitbox support
- FPS counter
- Restream.io integration
- Multicast RTP streaming
- Youtube Gaming Integration
OBS Studio information
- Developed byOBS Project
- LicensingOpen Source (GPL-2.0) and Free product.
- Written in
- RatingAverage rating of 4.5 (92 ratings)
- Alternatives162 alternatives listed
- News3 news article related to OBS Studio
- 54,190 Stars
- 7,583 Forks
- 650 Open Issues
Our users have written 65 comments and reviews about OBS Studio, and it has gotten 1102 likes
Comments and Reviews Post a comment/review
OBS Studio platform details
OSX 10.11 +
Windows 7 +