Autodesk AutoCAD Alternatives
Known for robust compatibility and as the standard application for computer-aided design, Autodesk AutoCAD supports a wide variety of files formats. Though there are other alternatives that support the opening of .dwg files that store 2D and 3D data.
As AutoCAD is paid software, you might want to look into the many free alternatives that are available. On top of this, though AutoCAD is available on most popular desktop and mobile operating systems, it does not have a Linux-based client, so alternatives to AutoCAD that run on Linux are available as well.
- FreeCAD is a general purpose parametric 3D CAD modeler. The development is completely Open Source (LGPL License).
- Ambitious but cheaper AutoCAD alternative, with a focus on 2D CAD and support for 3D.
- LibreCAD (originally QCad then CADuntu) is an open source 2D CAD application for Windows, Apple and Linux.
- CMS IntelliCAD® is a full-featured Compatible CAD Software. CMS IntelliCAD also offers a full suite of 2D and 3D AutoCAD® software compatible drawing tools! It is the smartest choice for anyone who creates or communicates using CAD drawings.
- SketchUp (formerly Google Sketchup) is a 3D modeling computer program for a wide range of drawing applications such as architectural, interior design, civil and mechanical...
- BricsCAD the first all-in-one CAD design solution in .dwg that answers all your needs; 2D drafting, 3D modeling, mechanical design, and BIM. BricsCAD is a cost-effective, innovative, and familiar CAD solution.
- 2D computer-aided design software aimed towards professional use with an open API and DWG support.
- OpenSCAD is a software for creating solid 3D CAD objects. It is free software and available for Linux/UNIX, MS Windows and MacOS.
- QCAD is an application for computer aided drafting in 2D.
- Open source 3D geometry modeling system with a robust feature set developed over 20 years.