For 3D computer-aided design, SolidWorks is one of the leading pieces of CAD software. Though it also supports 2D designs, there are alternatives that support 2D designs that have more robust functionality in that regard.
SolidWorks is only available for Windows, but there are several alternatives available on devices that run macOS, Linux-based operating systems, Android's Google Play Store, and the App Store (with CAD applications that are specifically optimized for iPad as well).
- FreeCAD is a general purpose parametric 3D CAD modeler. The development is completely Open Source (LGPL License).
- SketchUp (formerly Google Sketchup) is a 3D modeling computer program for a wide range of drawing applications such as architectural, interior design, civil and mechanical...
- Onshape is the first full-cloud 3D CAD system. It runs in a web browser and on any mobile device.
- Professional 2D and 3D CAD software with specialized tools for use across design and engineering disciplines.
- Integrated CAD, CAM, and CAE featuring collaborative editing and cloud-based computation. Free license available for students and hobbyists.
- Autodesk® Inventor® products offer a comprehensive, flexible set of software for 3D mechanical design, product simulation, tooling creation, and design communication.
- BricsCAD the first all-in-one CAD design solution in .dwg that answers all your needs; 2D drafting, 3D modeling, mechanical design, and BIM. BricsCAD is a cost-effective, innovative, and familiar CAD solution.
- Ambitious but cheaper AutoCAD alternative, with a focus on 2D CAD and support for 3D.
- Open source 3D geometry modeling system with a robust feature set developed over 20 years.
- Shapr3D is a revolutionary 3D modeling software created exclusively for your iPad Pro and your Apple Pencil.