What is Trelby?
Trelby is simple, fast and elegantly laid out to make screenwriting simple. It is infinitely configurable.
- Screenplay editor: Enforces correct script format and pagination, auto-completion, and spell checking.
- Multiplatform : Behaves identically on all platforms, generating the exact same output.
- Choice of view: Multiple views, including draft view, WYSIWYG mode, and fullscreen to suit your writing style.
- Name database: Character name database containing over 200,000 names from various countries.
- Reporting: Scene/location/character/dialogue reports.
- Compare: Ability to compare scripts, so you know what changed between versions.
- Import: Formatted text, Final Draft XML (.fdx).
- Export: PDF, formatted text, HTML, RTF, Final Draft XML (.fdx).
- PDF: Built-in, highly configurable PDF generator. Supports embedding your chosen font.
- Free software: Licensed under the GPL, Trelby welcomes developers and screenwriters to contribute in making it more useful.
The project is no longer developed. Last version, 2.2, released in September 2012, can be still downloaded from the official website.
- 77 Stars
- 41 Forks
- 7 Open Issues
Comments and Reviews
Said about Trelby as an alternative
It's faster and easier than Fianl Draft and has converting options to many formats.
Trelby is simple and clean. It is showing its age, but it is still very useful. No Unicode. But it does import and export between Fountain and Final Draft (and others). There is a work-around for Linux Python issue, just go to Trelby's forum -- you can compile your own Trelby, or find a binary from someone who has already done it. Like Kit Scenarist, open source and useful.
Even said that it was discontinued, it works great on Windows, but doesn't on Linux because of Python version used and some dependencies. However, it can be easily installed via Wine/PlayOnLinux. It doesn't have all the features that KIT Scenarist has, but it's reliable and straightforward. Also it exports to all popular formats, including Final Draft.