What is Joplin?
Joplin is a free, open source note taking and to-do application, which can handle a large number of notes organised into notebooks. The notes are searchable, can be copied, tagged and modified either from the applications directly or from your own text editor. The notes are in Markdown format.
Notes exported from Evernote via .enex files can be imported into Joplin, including the formatted content (which is converted to Markdown), resources (images, attachments, etc.) and complete metadata (geolocation, updated time, created time, etc.). Plain Markdown files can also be imported.
The notes can be synchronised with various cloud services including Nextcloud, Dropbox, OneDrive, WebDAV, their own service (paid) or the file system (for example with a network directory). When synchronising the notes, notebooks, tags and other metadata are saved to plain text files which can be easily inspected, backed up and moved around.
The application is available for Windows, Linux, macOS, Android and iOS. A Web Clipper, to save web pages and screenshots from your browser, is also available for Firefox and Chrome.
- Desktop, mobile and terminal applications.
- Web Clipper for Firefox and Chrome.
- End To End Encryption (E2EE)
- Synchronisation with various services, including NextCloud, Dropbox, WebDAV and OneDrive.
- Import Enex files (Evernote export format) and Markdown files.
- Export JEX files (Joplin Export format) and raw files.
- Support for to-dos and tags
- Support for notifications in mobile and desktop applications.
- Offline first, so the entire data is always available on the device even without an internet connection.
- Markdown notes. Support for extra features such as math notation, checkboxes and Fountain (screenwriting markup language).
- File attachment support, images, etc.
- Search functionality.
- Geo-location support.
- Supports multiple languages
- External editor support - open notes in your favorite external editor with one click in Joplin.
Security & Privacy
Features Vote on or suggest new features
Comments and Reviews Post a comment / review all • positive • negative relevance • date
CategoriesBackup & Sync • Office & Productivity • Web Browsers • File Management • Business & Commerce • Security & Privacy
Lists containing JoplinThe Best (and the rest) of Personal Knowledge Management Software  • The ultimate F-Droid setup (200+ Apps) • Edge/Chrome Extensions • List of my favorite Freeware/FOSS
Our users have written 117 comments and reviews about Joplin, and it has gotten 570 likes
- Developed by Laurent Cozic
- Open Source and Free Personal product.
- Subscription that costs between $2 and $50.
- Written in
- Average rating of 4.6
- 574 alternatives listed
- Last Release:
- Average Rating 4.25
- 30,991 Stars
- 3,508 Forks
- 306 Open Issues