What is Obsidian?
Obsidian is a note-taking app that helps you create and maintain a knowledge graph. It encourages non-linear thinking, allowing you to jump from one idea to another without any friction. You can make connections between notes easily, creating a wiki-style link between them. This makes it easy to navigate between notes and see how they are related.
One of the best things about Obsidian is that it gives you complete control over your data. All your notes are stored in a local folder of Markdown files, which means you own all your data. You can keep it secure and private, without having to worry about any third-party access.
The app also has a flexible plugin system that you can customize to your needs. You can enable the plugins that matter to you, such as the in-app PDF viewer or the audio player. Obsidian also allows you to embed multimedia files like images and audio using the ![[image.png]] syntax.
Overall, Obsidian is a great app for anyone who wants to organize their thoughts and ideas in a non-linear way. It is perfect for students, researchers, or anyone who needs to keep track of a lot of information.
Obsidian Desktop Screenshots and Videos
- Support for MarkDownObsidian supports MarkDown for document formatting.
- Works OfflineObsidian can be used without the need to connect to the internet.
- No registration requiredYou can use most of the features in Obsidian without registration.
- Extensible by Plugins/ExtensionsObsidian can be extended with add-ons, plugins and extensions.
- Dark ModeObsidian supports dark mode for comfortable usage in low light conditions.
- No TrackingObsidian will not track you or use your personal data.
- LightweightObsidian consumes less device resources compared to similar apps.
- Ad-freeObsidian doesn't contain any form of external advertising.
- No Coding RequiredObsidian can be used without an coding or programming skills.
- Syntax HighlightingObsidian supports syntax highlighting for various programming and markup languages.
- Privacy focusedObsidian is considered a privacy friendly alternative.
- Spell CheckingObsidian can detect and correct all types of grammar and spelling mistakes.
- Hierarchical StructureOrganize your notes, pages, documents, etc., hierarchically with Obsidian.
- Full-Text SearchObsidian lets you search for specific words or phrases from inside a document or database.
- Support for LaTeXObsidian supports LaTeX for text and math equation formatting.
- Code FormattingObsidian supports code formatting for multiple languages and code styles.
- WYSIWYG HTML EditorObsidian allows you to make and preview changes to an application or website in real time, without needing to know code.
- Built-in viewerObsidian shows you a quick preview of an image, page or file in supported formats.
- Live PreviewInstantly see what your files and documents look like as you create them.
- Distraction-freeObsidian has a distraction-free mode for when you need to focus.
- Cloud SyncSync your data (notes, documents, bookmarks, etc.) across your different devices and to the cloud.
- File TaggingObsidian can organize and highlight your files with tags and labels.
- Calendar ViewObsidian has a built-in calendar view to have a clear overview of your content over time.
- Support for ThemesYou can use themes and templates to change the look and feel of Obsidian.
- PortableObsidian can be used from a USB stick or similar with no prior installation.
- Handwritten NotesObsidian supports writing by hand (or a stylus) and your text will be converted to text.
- AutocompletionObsidian can predict and complete the rest of a word or phrase you're typing.
- Local Storage
- Graph view
- Bidirectional links
- Mind Mapping
- Personal Information Manager (PIM)
- Knowledge Management
- Custom themes
- Note organization
- Knowledge Base structuring
- Write files in markdown
- Wiki-like local linking
- Search by tags
- LaTeX Math
- HTML/CSS/JS rendering
- Save as Markdown
- Markdown preview
- Folder Hierarchy
- Zettelkasten note method
- Plain text file
- Cross Linking
- Backlink-aware editor
- Intuitive Interface
- Graph relationships
- Split-screen view
- Note Manager
- Live editing
- Electron based
- Query Engine
- Finds unlinked references
- Embedded video
- Nested tags
- No Root Required
- Project Management
- Block reference
- Sort by date
- Dynamic content
- Flow Chart
- RTL support
- Developed byShida Li and Erica Xu
- LicensingProprietary and Free Personal product.
- PricingOne time purchase (perpetual license) that cost about $50.
- RatingAverage rating of 4.8 (206 ratings)
- Alternatives52 alternatives listed
- News3 news article related to Obsidian
- 4.57 avg rating
Our users have written 150 comments and reviews about Obsidian, and it has gotten 783 likes