Though many say that “the best anti-virus is common sense,” that can’t always protect from an accidental late night popup click or other similar circumstances. Mistakes happen. For those moments, the peace of mind that anti-virus software such as Avast or Avira can provide by responding quickly to any potential virus, trojan, or other malicious software may very well be worth it, especially to those that are not the most tech literate in your life. This page can help you make an informed decision about which anti-virus software to try.
- VirusTotal is a free service that analyzes suspicious files and URLs and facilitates the quick detection of viruses, worms, trojans, and all kinds of malware.
- Avast Free Antivirus a the free for non-commercial and home usage antivirus solution from AVAST Software.
- Microsoft Defender is built into Windows to help guard your PC against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software in real time.
- Clam AntiVirus is an open source (GPL) anti-virus toolkit for UNIX, designed especially for e-mail scanning on mail gateways.
- Avira Free Antivirus offers basic protection for your computer against dangerous viruses, worms, spy-ware, trojans and costly dialers.
- ESET NOD32 Antivirus is an innovative host-based intrusion prevention system that offers a comprehensive scanning solution.
- Comodo Internet Security is a free, very voluminous and multi-layered security application that keeps hackers out and personal information in.
The app installs other components by default such as Dragon Web Browser. You must click "Options" during install to deselect those components.
- AVG AntiVirus Free provides basic antivirus and antispyware protection for home users. Virus database updated every day. Includes innovative LinkScanner for web-protection.
- [Please note that ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an on-access real-time scanner. You need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware.]
- ClamTk is a graphical user interface (GUI) for using the Clam AntiVirus program. It is designed to be an easy-to-use, on-demand scanner for Linux systems.
- Firewall (iptables frontend), based on DroidWall which is no longer being developed. A paid "donate"-version with more features it advertised within the app.
- 360 Total Security offers your PC complete protection from Viruses, Trojans and other emerging threats.
- Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool is a free software intended to disinfect infected computers, removing viruses, Trojans, and spyware, as well as any other types of malware.
- Panda Antivirus protects you while you work, play, or browse online.Antivirus Protection
- Immunet free antivirus is an antivirus based on the Clam AV Engine, plus 2 cloud based engines (SPERO and ETHEROS).