Amara (formerly Universal Subtitles or unisubs) gives individuals, communities, and larger organizations the power to overcome accessibility and language barriers for online video. The tools are free and open source and make the work of subtitling and translating video simpler, more appealing, and, most of all, more collaborative.
The benefits of captioning and subtitling are immense:
1. Captions make videos accessible for viewers who are deaf or hard of hearing.
2. Translations make it possible for all of us to watch video in languages that we don't speak.
3. Video creators get: better SEO, more views, access to a far bigger (potentially multilingual and global) audience, accessibility for deaf and hard of hearing viewers, and more.... More Info »
Amara is composed of three main parts:
1. A subtitle creation and viewing tool (aka the widget)
2. A collaborative subtitling website
3. An open protocol for subtitle search/delivery