This package is a personal full text search package which is based on a very strong backend (Xapian), for which it provides an easy to use and feature-rich interface.
Recoll finds keywords inside documents as well as file names.
It can search most document formats.
It can reach any storage place: files, archive members, email attachments, transparently handling decompression.
One click will open the document inside a native editor or display an even quicker text preview. More Info »
Avaliable through repositories
* Qt-based GUI
* Will run on most Unix-based systems
* Powerful query facilities, with boolean searches, phrases, proximity, wildcards, filter on file types and directory tree.
* Supports the following document types (and their compressed versions)
- Natively: text, html, OpenOffice files, maildir and mailbox (Mozilla and IceDove mail) with attachments, pidgin log files
- With external helpers: pdf (pdftotext), postscript (ghostscript), msword (antiword), excel, ppt (catdoc), rtf (unrtf)
* Powerful query facilities, with boolean searches, phrases, filter on file types and directory tree
* Support for multiple charsets, Internal processing and storage uses Unicode UTF-8. Multi-language and multi-character set with Unicode based internals.
* Stemming performed at query time (can switch stemming language after indexing)
* Easy installation. No database daemon, web server or exotic language
* An indexer which runs either as a thread inside the GUI or as an external, cron'able program