ProtonMail is described as 'Secure email with absolutely no compromises, brought to you by MIT and CERN scientists' and is one of the leading apps in the Security & Privacy category. There are more than 50 alternatives to ProtonMail for a variety of platforms, including the Web, iPhone, Android, Windows and iPad. The best alternative is Tutanota. It's not free, so if you're looking for a free alternative, you could try Disroot or Mailfence. Other great apps like ProtonMail are Posteo (Paid, Open Source), mailbox.org (Paid), Cock.li (Free) and Zoho Mail (Freemium).
- Tutanota is a free and open source web-mail client that focuses on privacy and security. It has open source iOS and an Android apps. View 69 alternatives to Tutanota
- Free Personal • Open Source
Tutanota vs ProtonMailTutanota is a free and open source web-mail client that focuses on privacy. There's also an Android and an iOS app. All data is stored encrypted and can not be searched, i.e. for commercial usage. It offers dead easy end-to-end encryption. 1 GB of storage is free for everyone. We want to make a secure inbox easily available for everybody worldwide.Very similar in design and philosophy to Proton. Based in Germany.Tutanota does not allow immediate access. Must wait 48 hours to use.Cheap easy to use good clintFunctions on secure browsers like Klar and Tor.Free and with best featuresNearly as good as ProtonMail.
- Disroot is a platform providing online services based on principles of freedom, privacy, federation and decentralization. View 14 alternatives to Disroot
- Free • Open Source
Disroot vs ProtonMailimap smtp support, open source, all freeSimple, efficient, you can use it with Tunderbird or other mail client.
- Web- and IMAP-based email service. 2GB cost 1€/month. Information is hosted on encrypted hard drives. Electricity from renewable resources is used. View 54 alternatives to Posteo
- Paid • Open Source
Posteo vs ProtonMailPosteo could be a good Protonmail alternative. It offers email encryption in a similar way: Posteo's people, government surveillance and successful hackers won't get into your email content. It also offers a calendar feature, which protonmail users have been crying out for for years.
- mailbox.org offers a secure e-mail account for home and business use. The domain name, email@example.com, is easy to remember and can be understood anywhere in the world. View 63 alternatives to mailbox.orgNo screenshots yet
- Paid • Proprietary
mailbox.org vs ProtonMailMailbox.org is a partial replacement for Protonmail. It offers a fully functional email solution (email, calendar, contacts), but with the added benefits of PGP encryption support (you can handle the keys or let them do it). It also allows you to send links to people who don't use PGP if you want to send private messages. For the encryption, it's a bit like Protonmail. For everything else, it's like a privacy-respecing Gmail alternative.
- Mailfence is a free secure and private mail service, that provides an end-to-end encrypted email. View 54 alternatives to Mailfence
- Freemium • Proprietary
- Android Tablet
Mailfence vs ProtonMailbecause its free and don't need any pay and don't want phone number to sign inMailfence offers more functionality than Proton mail with Calendar, Document, Chat, and Group functionality. Moreover, the price is much lower than other competitors.Costs money to use with 3rd party programs.Excellent integrated business features. Works as a webmail client for many e-mail addresses hosted from different servers/locations (the paid versions). Perfect alternative to ProtonMail for business users!I like them because they have a lot of tools ( calendar, documents, groups )
- Zoho Mail is a webmail service built with the needs of a modern business in mind. View 90 alternatives to Zoho Mail
- Freemium • Proprietary
Zoho Mail vs ProtonMailThe whole point of switching to an encrypted email provider (Protonmail, Tutanota, etc.) is to avoid the prying eyes of the company's techies, government surveillance and hackers to breach the servers. Zoho Mail doesn't encrypt your email, so it doesn't offer that security or privacy.This garbage is almost as bad as Gmail.Its not an encrypted free email provider like ProtonMail.
- Free email service with no ads and no strings attached. Also contacts and calendar features. View 85 alternatives to Vivaldi Mail
- Free • Proprietary
Vivaldi Mail vs ProtonMailVivaldi mail offers PGP-based email encryption, similar to Protonmail. But the web client is much less well developed. However, unlike Protonmail (at the time of writing), they allow you to import your own PGP keys, which is nice (a feature Protonmail users have been demanding for years).