The Best Open Source Bandicam AlternativesTop Screen Recorders & Screenshot Capture Tools like Bandicam
OBS Studio (also known as Open Broadcaster Software, or OBS) is a screen-casting and live-streaming software available across multiple platforms including macOS, Windows and Linux. Boasting features typically only found in commercial screen recording apps, OBS also provides one...
Suggest and vote on features
- - OBS Studio is the most popular Windows, Mac & Linux alternative to Bandicam.
- - OBS Studio is the most popular Open Source & free alternative to Bandicam.
OBS Studio Features
- Extensible by Plugins/ExtensionsOBS Studio can be extended with add-ons, plugins and extensions.
- Virtual camera outputUse the output from OBS Studio as your webcam's primary video source.
- Dark ModeOBS Studio supports dark mode for comfortable usage in low light conditions.
- Custom overlaysOBS Studio allows you to add custom images or videos on top of your composition.
- No TrackingOBS Studio will not track you or use your personal data.
- Ad-freeOBS Studio doesn't contain any form of external advertising.
- DRM FreeNo Digital rights management (DRM), i.e. no copy protection.
- Screen SharingYou can use OBS Studio to share your screen with your colleages or friends.
- Support for ThemesYou can use themes and templates to change the look and feel of OBS Studio.
Comments about OBS Studio as a Alternative to BandicamMost users think OBS Studio is a great Bandicam alternative.all • positive • negative relevance • date
has all the necessary functions for recording and streaming10
For a high-end PC OBS would serve as a capable alternative screen recorder. However, users operating PCs with modest specs would fare better using ScreenRec due to its lighter file size and simplistic interface. It ensures you get a lag-free video output when recording your desktop activities.1
I wouldn't recommend OBS solely for the fact it struggles in challenging situations and starts lagging. This is normally when you've opened too many applications. A better alternate is ScreenRec which is a free screen recorder and never seems to lag or slow down your PC no matter what you're recording.0Guest
it's free and works for mac0
OBS can only record limited resolutions-11Show more comments ▾5 of 6 comments
SimpleScreenRecorder is a Linux screen recorder that supports X11 and OpenGL. It is easy to use, feature-rich, and has a Qt-based graphical user interface. It can record the entire screen or part of it, or record OpenGL applications directly.Suggest and vote on features
Comments about SimpleScreenRecorder as a Alternative to BandicamAlmost everyone thinks SimpleScreenRecorder is a great Bandicam alternative.Guest
I find it very easy to use and use-friendly. It does exactly what it says in its title.0
VokoscreenNG is a user friendly screencaster for Linux and Windows. It is a continuation of the now discontinued Vokoscreen project that has been totally rewritten from scratch using Qt and GStreamer.Suggest and vote on features
- Support for Multiple MonitorsVokoscreenNG supports the use of multiple displays.
- LightweightVokoscreenNG consumes less device resources compared to similar apps.
- Works OfflineVokoscreenNG can be used without the need to connect to the internet.
- Ad-freeVokoscreenNG doesn't contain any form of external advertising.
- No registration requiredYou can use most of the features in VokoscreenNG without registration.
- No TrackingVokoscreenNG will not track you or use your personal data.
Opinions about VokoscreenNG as a Alternative to BandicamMost users think VokoscreenNG is a great Bandicam alternative.
Record your computer screen with audio input from Mic or Speakers. Also shows mouse clicks in addition to the regular cursor. Simple interface with ability to record in AVI or export as swf.Suggest and vote on features
The project seems to be no longer developed. Last version, 2.7 r316, released in May 2015, can be still downloaded from SourceForge.Warning
As described on VirusTotal comment (https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/1ddb733efb11769a05cc735d555e9a4df92c4cdf29fa47ea3864e57e67dcf884/analysis/1411383540/): if you download CamStudio from SourceForge.net, the VirusTotal results are 0/53. After installing this SF version, it immediately says that there is an update available. When the link is clicked, it takes you to camstudio.org, which has a zip file that, scanned with VirusTotal, gives you 15/53 result. So do NOT download and install the "update": it's a malware. Installer as of 09/22/2014.
Comments about CamStudio as a Alternative to BandicamSome users think CamStudio is a great Bandicam alternative, some don't.Guest
You can configure the speakers just like Bandicam, it shows mouse clicks in recordings just like Bandicam does, and it has a simpled interface like Bandicam too.0
Peek makes it easy to create short screencasts of a screen area. It was built for the specific use case of recording screen areas, e.g. for easily showing UI features of your own apps or for showing a bug in bug reports.Suggest and vote on features
Peek GIF Screen Recorder FeaturesDiscontinued
Peek has been discontinued: https://github.com/phw/peek/issues/1191
Kazam is a simple screen recording program that will capture the content of your screen and record a video file that can be played by any video player that supports VP8/WebM video format.Discontinued
The latest version (1.4.5) is from 2014.
Capture your screen in a intuitive and straightforward way without distractions.Suggest and vote on features
- No registration requiredYou can use most of the features in Kooha without registration.
- Works OfflineKooha can be used without the need to connect to the internet.
- Ad-freeKooha doesn't contain any form of external advertising.
- Privacy focusedKooha is considered a privacy friendly alternative.
- LightweightKooha consumes less device resources compared to similar apps.
- Dark ModeKooha supports dark mode for comfortable usage in low light conditions.
recordMyDesktop is a desktop session recorder for GNU / Linux that attemps to be easy to use, yet also effective at it's primary task. As such, the program is separated in two parts; a simple command line tool that performs the basic tasks of capturing and encoding and an...Suggest and vote on features
The project is no longer developed. Last version, 0.3.8.1, released in December 2008, can be still downloaded from SourceForge.
Opinions about recordMyDesktop as a Alternative to BandicamMost users think recordMyDesktop is a great Bandicam alternative.
ScreenCam is a free and open-source Android app to record screen using native API and without root. It can record sound from the speaker and is configurable, letting you change the recording format and location of save files among other options.
Suggest and vote on features
- - ScreenCam is the most popular Android alternative to Bandicam.
- Ad-freeScreenCam doesn't contain any form of external advertising.