Free RPG Maker AlternativesTop Game Development Tools and other similar apps like RPG Maker
Godot Engine is a feature-packed, cross-platform game engine to create 2D and 3D games from a unified interface. It provides a comprehensive set of common tools, so that users can focus on making games without having to reinvent the wheel.
Suggest and vote on features
- - Godot Engine is the most popular Windows, Mac & Linux alternative to RPG Maker.
- - Godot Engine is the most popular Open Source & free alternative to RPG Maker.
Godot Engine Features
- LightweightGodot Engine consumes less device resources compared to similar apps.
- PortableGodot Engine can be used from a USB stick or similar with no prior installation.
- Works OfflineGodot Engine can be used without the need to connect to the internet.
- Keyframe AnimationCompositions can be keyframed in Godot Engine, allowing you to change the parameters over time.
- MultiplayerGodot Engine offers a game mode for more than one player.
- No registration requiredYou can use most of the features in Godot Engine without registration.
- Ad-freeGodot Engine doesn't contain any form of external advertising.
- Support for scriptingGodot Engine supports scripts and macros to automate or customize tasks.
Comments about Godot Engine as a Alternative to RPG MakerMost users think Godot Engine is a great RPG Maker alternative.all • positive • negative relevance • dateGuest
This engine isn't as simple as RPG Maker, but it is a fully featured engine with MIT license to boot.1Guest
Godot is a power tool to make real games. Would be cool if it supported a proper programming language tho.-1Guest
Requires coding while RPG maker doesn't5Guest
RPG Maker is rather easy and fun to use. You do not need any programming knowledge. Godot requires coding for most features.3Guest
RPG maker is an easy to use software that doesn't require any proper coding to produce a full game. although you can use programming if you want to for more intricate or complex features. Godot however, to my knowledge, isn't as code-free as RPG. Not a good alternitive if you're in it for the code-free experience.1Show more comments ▾5 of 8 comments
Open RPG Maker is a free and open source clone of features from the RPG Maker series (i.e. rpgmaker200, rpgmaker2003, rpgmakerxp), as well as many other features. All of the data files are in XML format and are easily editable with any text editor.Suggest and vote on features
Open RPG Maker FeaturesDiscontinued
The last update was released on February 12th, 2014.
Comments about Open RPG Maker as a Alternative to RPG MakerAlmost everyone thinks Open RPG Maker is a great RPG Maker alternative.Guest
While discontinued this is very similar to the actual engine1Guest
It's the most similar thing you're going to get.0Guest
adjust rpg maker as you wish0Guest
It's very similar to RPG Maker, and is fairly easy to use.-7
GDevelop is an open-source game making software designed to be used by everyone. Any kind of 2D games can be created with it and no programming skills are required to get started. Logic of games are made using visual events.
Suggest and vote on features
- - GDevelop is the most popular Web-based, Android, iPhone, iPad & Android Tablet alternative to RPG Maker.
Comments about GDevelop as a Alternative to RPG MakerSome users think GDevelop is a great RPG Maker alternative, some don't.Guest
While GDevelop has a lot of great features, it really isn't very similar to RPG Maker at all. The games you make for GDevelop are more like games you would play on your phone rather than actual RPGs.1
Scratch is a programming language that makes it easy to create your own interactive stories, animations, games, music, and art -- and share your creations on the web. As young people create and share Scratch projects, they learn important mathematical and computational ideas...Suggest and vote on features
A quick and easy to use drag and drop retro game creator for your favourite handheld video game system.Suggest and vote on features
GB Studio Features
Comments about GB Studio as a Alternative to RPG MakerAlmost everyone thinks GB Studio is a great RPG Maker alternative.Guest
If you want retro-style gameboy games, this is the one for you! No programming needed, though there is LOTS of limitations to fit with the game boy format. The best thing is that you can put it into an actual game boy console!!!1
A refreshingly simple data-driven game engine built in Rust. Free and Open Source Forever!Suggest and vote on features
Bevy Game Engine Features
RPG Paper Maker is a free game maker engine including a 3D universe with many 2D sprites and some simplified 3D objects. Pretty close to the RPG Maker series, RPG Paper Maker finally give a way to create RPGs in a totally 3D universe as easy as it is in 2D!Suggest and vote on features
RPG Paper Maker Features
Comments about RPG Paper Maker as a Alternative to RPG MakerAlmost everyone thinks RPG Paper Maker is a great RPG Maker alternative.Guest
Good if you want to make 2.5d-style RPG games. Also consider support the developer if you're serious to use this engine.0Guest
Scirra Construct is a 2D game development engine with a focus on building games visually. No programming is required though the software uses a visual method for event handling that relies on programming concepts like variables, loops and conditions.Suggest and vote on features
Construct 2 FeaturesDiscontinued
Construct 2 was taken off of the market in July 1, 2020, full support will be ceased in July 1, 2021.https://www.construct.net/en/make-games/buy-construct?action=c2retirement
Opinions about Construct 2 as a Alternative to RPG MakerSome users think Construct 2 is a great RPG Maker alternative, some don't.
Adventure Game Studio (AGS) - is the IDE and the engine meant for creating and running videogames of adventure (aka "quest") genre. It has potential, although limited, support for other genres as well.Suggest and vote on features
Adventure Game Studio Features
- LightweightAdventure Game Studio consumes less device resources compared to similar apps.
- Works OfflineAdventure Game Studio can be used without the need to connect to the internet.
- Single playerAdventure Game Studio has one or more single player game modes.
- Achievements SupportedAdventure Game Studio offers the possibility of unlocking achievements through completing challenges.
- Ad-freeAdventure Game Studio doesn't contain any form of external advertising.
Comments about Adventure Game Studio as a Alternative to RPG MakerMost users think Adventure Game Studio is a great RPG Maker alternative.Guest
It doesn't work quite the same. And ontop of that, I don't like AGS.-4