Turn Based Strategy Games
From seminal franchises such as Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics, to modern classics such as The Banner Saga and the Valkyria Chronicles series, turn based strategy games are known for a more slow and methodical pace compared to their real time counterparts such as Warcraft and Starcraft. These games ask players to think through complex arrangements and consider the ramifications of every move. Alongside the grand strategy genre, these are some of the most “brainy” games you can find.
- Turn-based 4X (explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate) strategy game series where players build a thriving civilization through ages of advancements.
- The Battle for Wesnoth is a turn-based tactical strategy game with a high fantasy theme.
- Freeciv is an open-source, turn-based strategy game based on Civilization II.
- XCOM is a series of sci-fi video games surrounding an Extraterrestrial Combat Unit setup by the nations of Earth to combat an alien invasion.The series includes:
- Hedgewars is a turn based strategy, artillery, action and comedy game, featuring the antics of pink hedgehogs with attitude as they battle from the depths of hell to the depths of...
- Relive the Final Fantasy universe through this tactical RPG with deep historical roots as the first of a kind for the Final Fantasy series.
- Explore a vast galaxy full of wonder in Stellaris, the evolution of the 4X strategy genre with space exploration at its core.
- NetHack is a single player dungeon exploration game that runs on a wide variety of computer systems, with a variety of graphical and text interfaces all using the same game engine.
- FreeOrion is a turn-based space empire and galactic conquest (4X) computer game being designed and built by the FreeOrion project.
- Worms is a series of artillery strategy computer games developed by British company Team17.
- DOFUS is a tactical turn-based MMORPG with 16 classes and an unusual 2D isometric style.
- 1 October, 1979: Unidentified forces presumed of extraterrestrial origin arrive in Earth orbit. Panic spreads across the globe as attempts at communication fail and attempts to engage the invaders are met with heavy losses and little success.
- Europa Universalis IV gives you control of a nation to guide through the years in order to create a dominant global empire.
- Total war is a turn based/ RTS strategy game, you play in different historical battles. Total War: Attila and Medieval II: Total War is also avariable for Linux.
- Ancient Domains of Mystery (ADOM for short) is a roguelike game which means that it is a single-user game featuring the exploration of a dungeon complex (and in the case of ADOM a...