As technology has grown, so have constraints on what the limits of video games can be. Nowhere is this any more evident than the ever-expansive sandbox genre of video games. With a surge of popularity due to the likes of Minecraft, games in this category focus on providing the player with unlimited agency, hence the name being based off the concept of a kid in a sandbox.
- Create and explore infinite 3D voxel worlds in the definitive sandbox mining and crafting game.
- Minetest is a near-infinite-world block sandbox game and a game engine, inspired by InfiniMiner, Minecraft, and the like.
- Dwarf Fortress is a single-player fantasy simulator with two modes: fortress and adventure.
- RimWorld follows three survivors from a crashed space liner as they build a colony on a frontier world at the rim of known space.
- Roblox allows you to create games, build whatever you want with lego-like bricks, play other games made by users of the community, and even participate in the economy by trading, selling, buying, and collecting items.
- Algodoo gives you the opportunity to play with physics. Use your own hands and simple drawing tools to design, construct and explore the world of physics.
- Free-to-play MMO that offers PvP and PvE combat alongside an intricate economic/political landscape.
- Open-ended city-building simulation that tasks players with developing and maintaining a happy and thriving city.
- No Man's Sky is an action-adventure survival video game developed and published by the indie studio Hello Games.
- Create elaborate supply chains of conveyor belts to feed ammo into your turrets, produce materials to use for building, and defend your structures from waves of enemies.
- A game famous for geting you hooked from the start. You build and optimize a factory and well, its addictive.
- Garry's Mod is a Sandbox Game based around the idea of building. Unlike most other games there aren't any objectives - you can't lose and you definitely can't win.
- In a galaxy of procedural worlds made entirely from LEGO bricks, will you... EXPLORE environments filled with adventure, then alter them?
- The Powder Toy is a desktop version of the classic 'falling sand' physics sandbox game, it simulates air pressure and velocity as well as heat!.
- Creativerse is a sandbox adventure game set in a beautiful yet treacherous world shrouded in mystery.