What is Dwarf Fortress?
Dwarf Fortress is a single-player fantasy simulator. You can control a dwarven outpost or an adventurer in a randomly generated, persistent world. The world is procedurally generated with distinct civilizations spanning centuries of detailed history, multitude of towns, bodies of water, caves and regions with various wildlife. The world persists as long as you like, over many games, recording historical events and tracking changes.
Command your dwarves as they search for wealth in the mountain. Craft treasures and furniture from many materials and improve these objects with precious metals, jewels and more. Defend yourself against attacks from hostile civilizations, the wilderness, the depths, the dead and creatures of the night. Support the nobility as they make demands of your populace. Keep your dwarves happy and read their thoughts as they work and relax. Z coordinate allows you to dig out fortresses with multiple levels. Build towers or conquer the underworld. Build floodgates to divert water for farming or to drown your adversaries... and don't forget the magma! Surgery, sutures, splints, crutches and more: care for your wounded dwarves instead of leaving them to fend for themselves.
- Play an adventurer and explore, quest for glory or seek vengeance.
- Meet adversaries from previous games.
- Recruit people to come with you on your journey.
- Explore without cumbersome plot restrictions -- thriving capitals, villages, catacombs, labyrinths, bandit camps, caves and more!
- Seamlessly wander the world or travel more rapidly on the region map.
- Travel by day and search for a place to shelter as night falls.
- Accept quests from the town and civilization leaders.
- Retire and meet your old characters. Bring them along on an adventure with a new character or reactivate them and play directly.
- Z coordinate allows you to move between twisting underground caverns and scale structures, fighting adversaries above and below.
Dwarf Fortress Screenshots
Dwarf Fortress Features
Dwarf Fortress information
Comments and Reviews
Said about Dwarf Fortress as an alternative
The adventure mode of Dwarf Fortress shares many similarities with CDDA. The world shares the same rich lore and scope, though Cataclysm takes place in a sci-fi future and DF takes place in a medieval fantasy.
PA was inspired by Dwarf Fortress
Because DF is a more completed version of a 4X game than Gnomoria.
Recent user activities on Dwarf Fortress
- Upvoted a comment on RimWorld as an alternative to Dwarf FortressNowhere near as difficult of a learning curve, but has a lot of the same mechanics, with added futuristic sci-fi events. Can micromanage and prioritize down to a tee, main gripe with it is there's UP/DOWN to the world, so you can't build towers or bases deep underground
- Downvoted a comment on RimWorld as an alternative to Dwarf FortressNo depth to the gameplay. Small maps. No Z-levels.
- thinks RimWorld is an alternative to Dwarf Fortress