What is Minetest?
Minetest is a near-infinite-world block sandbox game and a game engine, inspired by InfiniMiner, Minecraft, and the like.
Minetest is available natively for Windows, OS X, GNU/Linux, Android, and FreeBSD. It is Free/Libre and Open Source Software, released under the LGPL 2.1 or later.
Near-infinite maps With a 620003 block playing area, there's no running out of space. Yes, the world height is also near-infinite.
Multiplayer support Play by yourself, locally with your friends, or online with dozens of players on a server.
Multiple sub-games Want to install dozens of mods at once? You can. Want to play Hunger Games? No problem!
Modding API Modify the game and add new content using the Lua programming language.
Texture packs Not happy at the look of the textures? Change the textures!
Beautiful map generators Choose from several different in-house map generators, v5, v6, v7, flat, fractal, and valleys, each of them featuring several biomes.
Minetest based games: https://wiki.minetest.net/Games
Minetest Desktop Screenshots and Videos
- MultiplayerMinetest offers a game mode for more than one player.
- ModdableMinetest can be modified through the installation of external mods.
- Works OfflineMinetest can be used without the need to connect to the internet.
- No Coding RequiredMinetest can be used without an coding or programming skills.
- Endless gameplayMinetest offers at least one game mode that allows you to play indefinitely.
- Single playerMinetest has one or more single player game modes.
- Ad-freeMinetest doesn't contain any form of external advertising.
- PortableMinetest can be used from a USB stick or similar with no prior installation.
- Support for scriptingMinetest supports scripts and macros to automate or customize tasks.
- Online co-opYou can team-up with two or more players over the internet in Minetest to play cooperatively.
- LightweightMinetest consumes less device resources compared to similar apps.
- Player vs PlayerYou can compete against other real players in Minetest.
- Developed byThe Minetest Team
- LicensingOpen Source and Free product.
- Written in
- RatingAverage rating of 4.2 (19 ratings)
- Alternatives57 alternatives listed
- 9,918 Stars
- 1,937 Forks
- 1210 Open Issues
Our users have written 17 comments and reviews about Minetest, and it has gotten 223 likes
Comments and Reviews Post a comment/review
Recent user activities on Minetest
- liked Minetestago
- liked Minetestdhago
- Upvoted a comment on Minetestin
Minetest is an awesome idea, which builds on a good base to expand with community-made Lua mods. It is possible to create from textures, mobs and even a complete game using it as a base. On top of all this it's free, open source and with native functionality to play multiplayer online. I think if I were to point out a problem it's its confusing interface, which needs to be revamped to be easier to use.Show more ▾ago