The most popular alternative is i3, which is both free and Open Source. If that doesn't suit you, our users have ranked 31 alternatives to Xmonad so hopefully you can find a suitable replacement. Other interesting Xmonad alternatives are Openbox (Free, Open Source), awesome (Free, Open Source), Amethyst (Free, Open Source) and Sway (Free, Open Source).
- A dynamic tiling window manager designed for X11, inspired by wmii, and written in C.
- Openbox is a highly configurable, next generation window manager with extensive standards support.
- A dynamic window manager for the X Window System developed in the C and Lua programming languages. .
- Amethyst is a tiling window manager for Mac similar to the xmonad tiling window manager popular on Linux.
- Sway is a tiling Wayland compositor and a drop-in replacement for the i3 window manager for X11.
- Fluxbox is a window manager for X that was based on the Blackbox 0.61.1 code.
- Bluetile is a tiling window manager for Linux, designed to integrate with the GNOME desktop environment.
- KWin is a window manager for the X Window System, and is in the process of becoming a Wayland compositor.
- Qtile is a full-featured, hackable tiling window manager written in Python.
- IceWM is a Window Manager for X Window System. It is fast and memory-efficient, and it provides many different looks including Windows'95, OS/2 Warp 3,4, Motif.