i3 AlternativesWindow Managers and other similar apps like i3
GNOME 3 has been designed from the ground up to help you have the best possible computing experience. Learn about what it has to offer.
Suggest and vote on features
- - GNOME is the most popular Linux alternative to i3.
- - GNOME is the most popular Open Source & free alternative to i3.
- Extensible by Plugins/ExtensionsGNOME can be extended with add-ons, plugins and extensions.
- LightweightGNOME consumes less device resources compared to similar apps.
- Privacy focusedGNOME is considered a privacy friendly alternative.
- Dark ModeGNOME supports dark mode for comfortable usage in low light conditions.
- Support for Multiple MonitorsGNOME supports the use of multiple displays.
- Ad-freeGNOME doesn't contain any form of external advertising.
- No TrackingGNOME will not track you or use your personal data.
- Rolling ReleaseGNOME supports updates that are continuously rolled out, rather than in batches of versions.
Hyprland is a dynamic tiling Wayland compositor based on wlroots that doesn't sacrifice on its looks.Suggest and vote on features
awesome is a highly configurable, next generation framework window manager for X. It is very fast, extensible and licensed under the GNU GPLv2 license.
Comments about awesome as a Alternative to i3Almost everyone thinks awesome is a great i3 alternative.
This is the first WM I ever used.0
Openbox is a highly configurable, next generation window manager with extensive standards support.Suggest and vote on features
No actively developed anymore. Last commit was in 2015.
Comments about Openbox as a Alternative to i3Some users think Openbox is a great i3 alternative, some don't.
Openbox is great but it is not a tiling window manager.6
COSMIC is the name for the main shell components in Pop_Shell.Suggest and vote on features
An easy, pleasant, speedy, and exciting way to use your favorite OS.
Suggest and vote on features
- - Kera Desktop is the most popular Windows & Mac alternative to i3.
Kera Desktop Features
- LightweightKera Desktop consumes less device resources compared to similar apps.
- No TrackingKera Desktop will not track you or use your personal data.
- PortableKera Desktop can be used from a USB stick or similar with no prior installation.
- Privacy focusedKera Desktop is considered a privacy friendly alternative.
Sway is a tiling Wayland compositor and a drop-in replacement for the i3 window manager for X11. It works with your existing i3 configuration and supports most of i3's features, plus a few extras.Suggest and vote on features
Comments about Sway as a Alternative to i3pros, cons and recent comments
I like Sway, but it is not much of an alternative to i3 unless you're switching over to Wayland as well.0
A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning.Suggest and vote on features
- Support for Multiple Monitorsbspwm supports the use of multiple displays.
- Support for scriptingbspwm supports scripts and macros to automate or customize tasks.
- Lightweightbspwm consumes less device resources compared to similar apps.
- Extensible by Plugins/Extensionsbspwm can be extended with add-ons, plugins and extensions.
- Ad-freebspwm doesn't contain any form of external advertising.
- Dark Modebspwm supports dark mode for comfortable usage in low light conditions.
dwm is a dynamic window manager for X. It manages windows in tiled, monocle and floating layouts. All of the layouts can be applied dynamically, optimising the environment for the application in use and the task performed.Suggest and vote on features
Opinions about dwm as a Alternative to i3Almost everyone thinks dwm is a great i3 alternative.
xmonad is a dynamically tiling X11 window manager that is written and configured in Haskell. In a normal WM, you spend half your time aligning and searching for windows. xmonad makes work easier, by automating this.
Fluxbox is a window manager for X that was based on the Blackbox 0.61.1 code. It is very light on resources and easy to handle but yet full of features to make an easy, and extremely fast, desktop experience. It is built using C++ and licensed under the MIT license.Fluxbox has no features, suggest some!
A full-featured, hackable tiling window manager written and configured in Python.Suggest and vote on features