Perkeep is your personal storage system for life.
Note that it's a "storage system", not just a "file system". It can store and be accessed like a traditional filesystem, but it specializes in representing higher-level objects which don't need to exist in purely one place in a tree. (e.g. a photo, a comment, a "like", a blog post) Or a tree of 5TB videos with Unix mode bits that you can access via a FUSE filesystem. Whatever.... More Info »
* a way to store, sync, share, model and back up content
paranoid about privacy, with everything private by default
entirely under your control
* Open Source (Apache licensed)
* Perkeep is about:
** content-addressable storage, at the lowest layer ("Like git for all content in your life")
** separate interoperable parts (storage, sync, sharing, modeling), with well-defined protocols and roles
** indexing and searching your content
* ambitious, but ...
* simple! (JSON text + hashes)
* programming language-agnostic (parts and different implementations in Go, Python, Java, Perl, Bash, ... the language doesn't matter.) What matters is simple, well-defined, formats and HTTP interfaces.
* neither "Cloud" nor "Local". happily both. Run it on your own machine (any OS, any architecture), your phone, EC2, App Engine, Heroku, whatever.
* a "20% project" from a few Google employees (and non-Googlers), but not Google-centric nor endorsed by Google (other than them letting us open source our side project)