What is Pale Moon?
Pale Moon is an Open Source, Goanna-based web browser available for Microsoft Windows and Linux (with other operating systems in development), focusing on efficiency and customization.
Pale Moon offers you a browsing experience in a browser completely built from its own, independently developed source that has been hard forked off from Firefox/Mozilla code, with carefully selected features and optimizations to improve the browser's speed*, resource use, stability and user experience, while offering full customization and a growing collection of extensions and themes.
Main features: Optimized for modern processors Based on the Unified XUL Platform (UXP) containing our own optimized layout and rendering engine (Goanna) Safe: forked from mature Mozilla code and regularly updated with the latest security patches Secure: Additional security features and security-aware development Supported by our user community, and fully non-profit Privacy-aware: zero ads; no telemetry, spyware or data gathering Familiar, efficient, fully customizable interface Support for full themes: total freedom for any element's design Support for easily-created lightweight themes (skins) Smooth and speedy page drawing and script processing Superior gradients and fonts Will continue to support NPAPI plugins like Flash and Java Support for a growing number of Pale Moon exclusive extensions Extensive and growing support for existing web standards
Pale Moon will continue to provide grouped navigation buttons of a decent size, a bookmarks toolbar that is enabled by default, tabs next to page content by default (easily switchable) and not in the least a functional status bar and more freedom in customization, to name a few things.
This project is community-supported to benefit the development of not only a web browser but any other application that builds on the freely available XUL platform we are developing and using.
Pale Moon Desktop Screenshots and Videos
Pale Moon Features
- LightweightPale Moon consumes less device resources compared to similar apps.
- Privacy focusedPale Moon is considered a privacy friendly alternative.
- No TrackingPale Moon will not track you or use your personal data.
- Dark ModePale Moon supports dark mode for comfortable usage in low light conditions.
- Ad-freePale Moon doesn't contain any form of external advertising.
- PortablePale Moon can be used from a USB stick or similar with no prior installation.
- Extensible by Plugins/ExtensionsPale Moon can be extended with add-ons, plugins and extensions.
Pale Moon information
- Developed byMoonchild Productions
- LicensingOpen Source and Free product.
- RatingAverage rating of 3.5 (24 ratings)
- Alternatives187 alternatives listed
- News3 news article related to Pale Moon
Our users have written 28 comments and reviews about Pale Moon, and it has gotten 371 likes