Facebook Messenger Alternatives
Facebook Messenger is a fast and ubiquitous way to message. With the ability to message cross-platform to anyone using Messenger on the web, iOS, Android, Windows, and any other support operating system, it is understandably a popular way to message everyone at once.
That said, there are alternatives to Messenger that are also popular and provide additional security in the form of end-to-end encryption. This is especially helpful and important to securing the contents of your messages to friends, family, and other contacts, ensuring peace of mind for everyone involved.
At the end of the day, though, Facebook is one of the biggest forces on the Internet. It can seem daunting or pointless to try and find ways against using services from a company that seems to be everywhere you look, but AlternativeTo has you covered with a hand-made curated list of apps and services you can use to live without Facebook or any of its services, including Messenger.
- Telegram is a messaging app with a focus on speed and security. It’s superfast, simple, and free. It is like SMS, but more powerful.
- TextSecure and RedPhone have been merged to create Signal!
- A free instant messaging and collaboration software based on the Matrix protocol.
- An instant messaging app that provides online text message and video chat services.
- Jitsi (previously SIP Communicator) is an audio/video and chat communicator with full encryption that supports protocols such as SIP, XMPP/Jabber, ICQ/AIM, Windows Live, Yahoo!
- With WhatsApp, you'll get fast, simple, secure messaging and calling, available on phones all over the world.
- Send messages, files, create groups and make Tox to Tox audio and video calls. Securely.
- Secure, fully featured, and completely free video conferencing.
- Wire is the most secure collaboration platform featuring messenger, voice, video, conference calls, file-sharing, and external collaboration –all protected by the most secure...
- Hangouts is a messaging app that lets you send and receive messages, photos and more, and even start free video and voice calls – one to one or with a group!