The most popular alternative is Telegram, which is free. If that doesn't suit you, our users have ranked more than 100 alternatives to Signal so hopefully you can find a suitable replacement. Other interesting Signal alternatives are Element (Freemium, Open Source), Jitsi (Free, Open Source), Tox (Free, Open Source) and Wire (Free Personal, Open Source).
- Telegram is a messaging app with a focus on speed and security. It’s superfast, simple, and free. It is like SMS, but more powerful.
- A free instant messaging and collaboration software based on the Matrix protocol.
- Jitsi (previously SIP Communicator) is an audio/video and chat communicator with full encryption that supports protocols such as SIP, XMPP/Jabber, ICQ/AIM, Windows Live, Yahoo!
- Send messages, files, create groups and make Tox to Tox audio and video calls. Securely.
- Wire is the most secure collaboration platform featuring messenger, voice, video, conference calls, file-sharing, and external collaboration –all protected by the most secure...
- Matrix defines a set of open APIs for decentralised communication, suitable for securely publishing, persisting and subscribing to data over a global open federation of servers...
- Voice, video and chat communications, secure, decentralized, strong privacy and freedoms.
- Keybase is a new and free security app for mobile phones and computers. For the geeks among us: it's open source and powered by public-key cryptography.
- Session is the world's first open-source, decentralised private messenger to use industry-leading Signal Protocol encryption — without asking for your phone number.
- Conversations is a privacy focused, open source XMPP Texting [Jabber] client for Android 4.0+ smart phones with wife-approved easy encryption [OTR, OMEMO, or GPG].[Note]