What is Docear?
1. A single-section user-interface that allows the most comprehensive organization of your literature. With Docear, you can sort documents into categories; you can sort annotations (comments, bookmarks, and highlighted text from PDFs) into categories; you can sort annotations within PDFs; and you can view multiple annotations of multiple documents, in multiple categories – at once.
2. A ‘literature suite concept‘ that combines several tools in a single application (pdf management, reference management, mind mapping, …). This allows you to draft your own papers, assignments, thesis, etc. directly in Docear and copy annotations and references from your collection directly into your draft.
3. A recommender system that helps you to discover new literature: Docear recommends papers which are free, in full-text, instantly to download, and tailored to your information needs.
Last, but not least, Docear is free, open source, available for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X, and not evil. In addition, it can be used stand-alone or together with reference managers such as Zotero or Mendeley
Development and support of Docear have been stopped in August 2017. Last version, 1.2, released in December 2015, can be still downloaded from the official website. http://www.docear.org/2017/02/05/docears-online-services-are-down-recommendation-user-registration-backup/
Features Vote on or suggest new features
Comments and Reviews Post a comment / review all • positive • negative relevance • date
Said about Docear as an alternative
CategoriesEducation & Reference • File Management • Office & Productivity • News & Books
Lists containing DocearKnowledge Management • Academic Research and Writing Tools • Research And Citation
Our users have written 2 comments and reviews about Docear, and it has gotten 69 likes
- Developed by Joeran Beel, Stefan Langer, Marcel Genzmehr, and others...
- Open Source and Free product.
- Average rating of 4
- 69 alternatives listed