The Best Open Source Ableton Live AlternativesTop Music Production Apps & Digital Audio Workstations like Ableton Live
LMMS is a free cross-platform alternative to commercial programs like FL Studio , which allow you to produce music with your computer. This includes the creation of melodies and beats, the synthesis and mixing of sounds, and arranging of...
Suggest and vote on features
- - LMMS is the most popular Open Source & free alternative to Ableton Live.
- Support for VST PluginsLMMS support third-party Virtual Studio Technology (VST) plugins.
- PortableLMMS can be used from a USB stick or similar with no prior installation.
- Music SequencerRecord, edit, or play back music with LMMS, by handling note and performance information.
- Support for MIDILMMS includes MIDI hardware and software support to record and import audio.
- DRM FreeNo Digital rights management (DRM), i.e. no copy protection.
Comments about LMMS as a Alternative to Ableton LiveMost users think LMMS is a great Ableton Live alternative.all • positive • negative relevance • date
LMMS is free (free as in freedom and free beer) and open source and overall really cool0Guest
If you are just getting into the scene and are on a budget, its pretty darn decent especially for being free and open source.3Guest
Ableton Live, is meant for live performance. LMMS is not.4
It's nothing compared to ableton2Guest
LMMS is a Fruit Loops alternative (predecessor to FL Studio) and definitely not up to Bitwig in terms of functionalities or interface.1Show more comments ▾5 of 13 comments
Ardour is a hard disk recorder and digital audio workstation application. It runs on GNU/Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows. Ardour's intention is to provide digital audio workstation software suitable for professional use.Suggest and vote on features
- Non Destructive EditingArdour can make changes to a file without overwriting the original data, which remains available in case you want to revert to it.
- Support for VST PluginsArdour support third-party Virtual Studio Technology (VST) plugins.
- Music SequencerRecord, edit, or play back music with Ardour, by handling note and performance information.
- Works OfflineArdour can be used without the need to connect to the internet.
- Extensible by Plugins/ExtensionsArdour can be extended with add-ons, plugins and extensions.
- Lossless AudioArdour has lossless audio support, basically studio quality sound.
- Ad-freeArdour doesn't contain any form of external advertising.
- Live PerformanceListen to and adjust your music productions with Ardour based on incoming audio in real time.
- Support for MIDIArdour includes MIDI hardware and software support to record and import audio.
Comments about Ardour as a Alternative to Ableton LiveMost users think Ardour is a great Ableton Live alternative.
Ableton-style clip launcher is added to Ardour 7.2Guest
Ardour is good if you primary deal with audio. It is not very good for midi. You can work around making midi work for you. It has a lot of functionality, but what makes Ableton great is the clip launche. Ardour can't replace Ableton at this point.1Guest
The description did not mention you can make music on the program yourself.-25
Zrythm is a digital audio workstation designed to be featureful and easy to use.Suggest and vote on features
- Extensible by Plugins/ExtensionsZrythm can be extended with add-ons, plugins and extensions.
- Support for VST PluginsZrythm support third-party Virtual Studio Technology (VST) plugins.
- Ad-freeZrythm doesn't contain any form of external advertising.
- Music SequencerRecord, edit, or play back music with Zrythm, by handling note and performance information.
Qtractor is an Audio/MIDI multi-track sequencer application written in C++ with the Qt framework. Target platform is GNU/Linux, where the Jack Audio Connection Kit (JACK) for audio, and the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) for MIDI, are the main infrastructures for...Suggest and vote on features
Opinions about Qtractor as a Alternative to Ableton LiveMost users think Qtractor is a great Ableton Live alternative.
Bespoke is a software modular synthesizer. It contains a bunch of modules, which you can connect together to create sounds.Suggest and vote on features
Bespoke Synth Features
FamiStudio is very simple music editor for the Nintendo Entertainment System or Famicom. It is designed to be easier to use than FamiTracker, but its feature set is also much more limited. It is targeted at both chiptune artists and NES homebrewers.Suggest and vote on features
- Support for MIDIFamiStudio includes MIDI hardware and software support to record and import audio.
Rosegarden is a well-rounded audio and MIDI sequencer, score editor, and general-purpose music composition and editing environment.Suggest and vote on features
Cacophony is a minimalist and ergonomic MIDI sequencer. It's minimalist in that it doesn't have a lot of functionality MIDI sequencers have. It's ergonomic in that there is no mouse input and a very clean interface, allowing you to juggle less inputs and avoid...Suggest and vote on features
Efflux is a Progressive Web Application allowing you to create music within your browser, either on- or offline on anything from a phone to desktop machine.Suggest and vote on features
- Virtual InstrumentEfflux uses mainy virtual instruments (piano, guitar, drums, bass, etc.).
- Works OfflineEfflux can be used without the need to connect to the internet.
- Support for MIDIEfflux includes MIDI hardware and software support to record and import audio.
- Music LooperEfflux supports a grid of musical loops and phrases that you can trigger and manipulate in real time.