What is DesktopShelves?
DesktopShelves helps you fight the clutter on your desktop by organizing files on shelves. A shelf the size of 5 icons holds 20 files.
The app takes a refreshing approach to organizing files. It focuses on saving space on your screen while allowing you to always quickly access your files (via hotkey).
Everything is drag and drop. You can even drop text selections on a shelf and a new file is created automatically. Right-click and drag a file away from a shelf to insert its contents into another application such as Mail (great for keeping a "shelf" with frequently used mail templates, for example).
• Finder integration: Open any folder as a shelf on the desktop right from the Finder context menu (requires restart to activate first time).
• Choose from different shelf designs or create your own: The designs make your desktop unique and help you to tell your shelves apart. Design your own or download additional designs from the web.
• Drop a text selection on a shelf and get a new file: Found something on the web that you'd like to remember? Select it, drag and drop it on a shelf, done.
• Works great with text snippets: Right-click and drag a file away from a shelf to paste its text contents into other applications such as Mail, TextEdit, etc. (works for plain and rich text files).
• Access your shelves with a hotkey: Bring your shelves on top of all other windows to quickly access your files.
• Drag & drop everywhere: Drop files from the desktop or Finder onto shelves or the other way around from your shelves into other applications.
The program is no longer updated. Last version, 2.1.4, released in November 2013, can be still bought from Mac App Store.