Privacy-focused operating system for smartphones based on Android and microG
- Free • Open Source
- Android ROM
- Mobile OS
- Operating System
What is CalyxOS?
Everyone needs a phone. Not everyone wants governments and corporations tracking their every move and spying on their communications. CalyxOS lets you have your cake and eat it too, with "Privacy by Design".
When you use a phone with CalyxOS: • phone calls are encrypted so nobody can listen in • text messages are encrypted and a timer can be set so they disappear • web browsing is anonymized • advertising trackers are blocked • built-in free VPN services protect you from being spied on • your phone is receiving regular, timely, automatic security updates • your data is backed up with strong encryption to your personal cloud server or to USB storage
Features: • Verified Boot to prevent tampering with the phone's operating system, using cryptographic signatures
• Security and privacy by default: Instead of the bloatware, spyware, and backdoors installed by default on many smartphones, CalyxOS includes a suite of privacy, security, and censorship circumvention apps available out of the box, including Signal, Tor, DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser, K-9 Mail, Calyx VPN, and Riseup.
• Android without spyware: CalyxOS has reconfigured Android to avoid Google's spyware and tracking. It uses F-Droid for installing and updating free software applications, and strips out Google's privacy-invasive business model, replacing it with microG, which allows you to run nearly every app from Google Play Store without giving Google access to your phone.
• Regular security updates and patches: CalyxOS receives the latest security updates for Android, fixing software vulnerabilities and security flaws that can put your phone at risk.
Comments and Reviews
- Privacy Protection
- Security & Privacy
- Operating System
- Android ROM
CategoriesOS & Utilities • Development • Security & Privacy
Lists containing CalyxOSPrivacy Services (WIP) • Privacy focused OS for everyone • My privacy & user friendly setup [Dec. 2022] • No Google
Recent user activities on CalyxOS
- eliottthomas99 Downvoted a comment on GrapheneOS as an alternative to CalyxOSIt's the only ROM which cares about Security & Privacy without nonsense, SCAM or other theater
- eliottthomas99 thinks /e/ is an alternative to CalyxOS
- seaoflife liked CalyxOS
A really good Custom ROM on android 10 and hopefully android 11 soon
Edit: It's been a year and I can affirm that CalyxOS is an amazing FOSS smartphone OS and the Calyx Institute is doing an amazing job. Regular security patch with monthly update that always improve the experience. You must try this CustomROM if you want to get free !
My favorite smartphone OS for privacy and security. CalyxOS uses MicroG instead of Google Play Services, which lets you use most apps on Google Play without all of the tracking. Unlike most Android-based OSes, CalyxOS allows you to lock the bootloader for extra security.
CalyxOS is a privacy-minded Android distribution similar to Graphene. It includes microG, but allows users to choose nothing or even flash GApps along with it.
However, it falls slightly behind Graphene in some security faucets, including sandboxing and sync. That said, if you like microG, Calyx has a distribution for you!
Its cool and same like android but its open source and it's gas some issues also that have to resolve