What is BioEdit?
BioEdit is a biological sequence alignment editor written for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP/7. An intuitive multiple document interface with convenient features makes alignment and manipulation of sequences relatively easy on your desktop computer. Several sequence manipulation and analysis options and links to external analysis programs facilitate a working environment which allows you to view and manipulate sequences with simple point-and-click operations.
- Several modes of hand alignment
- Automated ClustalW alignment
- Automated Blast searches (local and WWW)
- Plasmid drawing and annotation
- Accessory application configuration
- Restriction mapping
- RNA comparative analysis tools
- Graphical matrix data viewing tools
- Shaded alignment figures
- Translation-based nucleic acid alignment
- ABI trace viewing, editing and printing
- Customizable other features
The program is no longer maintained. Last version, 7.2.5, released in December 2013, can be still downloaded from the official website.