What is BareGrep?
A free file finding and text searching tool:
- Regular expression text search
- High performance search algorithm
- Wildcard and regular expression file search
- Recursive directory search
- Save, name and manage text search patterns
- Interactive, incremental search
- Extract data with capturing groups
- Tabular presentation of search results
- Export/copy search results in many formats
- Search files of any size (> 2GB)
- Many file formats (Win32, Unix, Microsoft IIS logs)
- Flexible configuration options and storage
- Single small executable, no installer
Comments and Reviews
- Incremental search
Recent user activities on BareGrep
- xelnaga added BareGrep as alternative(s) to Search Text In Files
- TBayAreaPat reviewed BareGrepTBLightweight and fast, but doesn't allow standard rename of result files. (a number of file searchers are like that, but some file searchers do allow a direct standard rename)
- NosaLee added BareGrep as alternative(s) to Advanced Recent Access
Great application, however, it hasn't been maintained for over 10 years now!
The 'Pro' version is better in that it shows you a preview of the file under the list of files, allowing you to open each found file in a new tab and browse the section where the text search was found.
One major disadvantage is not being able to exclude directories or folder locations, and the UI/UX isn't entirely intuitive, such as not telling you that file types need to be separated by a space.
Another nice-to-have feature would have been a highlight option such that the lines where the matched text string was found are auto highlighted, rather than manually setting custom strings every time in the 'highlighting' panel.
Unfortunately not sure what has happened to the author, after emailing a couple of times about possibility of buying the 'pro' version, never received a reply.
Lightweight and fast, but doesn't allow standard rename of result files. (a number of file searchers are like that, but some file searchers do allow a direct standard rename)