ALT Linux is a set of RPM-based, APT-managed operating systems built on top of the Linux kernel and Sisyphus package repository branches. ALT Linux Rescue is, well, the ...
What is ALT Linux?
ALT Linux is a set of RPM-based, APT-managed operating systems built on top of the Linux kernel and Sisyphus package repository branches.
ALT Linux Rescue is a moderate sized LiveCD distribution that is designed to help sysadmins fix and repair many kinds of problems with systems they are or feel responsible for; so it comes with tools aiding to:
- perform hardware diagnostics
- resize partitions
- fix bootloaders, partitions, filesystems
- recover partitions and files deleted by accident
- backup and restore to network servers
- deal with optical, tape and file archives
- optimize filesystem usage
- diagnose network problems and remote services
- wipe partitons or drives clean of residual information
- investigate unauthorized access/security breach events
All of that is packaged into a convenient hybrid ISO image file suitable for both CD/DVD media and USB Flash pendrives. The resulting media should be bootable on most x86 systems, even with SecureBoot. It's available for some non-x86 arches as well.
ALT Linux Screenshots
ALT Linux Features
ALT Linux information
Comments and Reviews
- File Recovery
- Linux Distro
- Clone Partition
- analysis tool
- System Administration
CategoriesBackup & Sync • Security & Privacy • Network & Admin • OS & Utilities • System & Hardware
Recent user activities on ALT Linux
- Graziella added ALT Linux as alternative(s) to Tenorshare Windows Boot Genius
- Palets edited ALT Linux
- ab1 commented on ALT LinuxabOnly ALT Sisyphus has has latest versions.
Most versions are quite slow in updating even the most important packages. Not good for my usage. Might be good for you...
Only ALT Sisyphus has has latest versions.
This LiveCD goes on receiving incremental configuration updates and software upgrades from the kernel all the way up to the utilities used, so it's basically "evergreen" being automatically built each Wednesday; there's a dozen more desktop images maintained within Regular Builds project, by the way.
It's GUI-less on purpose serving those who know their way around CLI tools; a GUI version might be added but that one requires way more thought and love to those caught by surprise or disaster to need a rescue disk in the first place...
Feel free to contact mike/altlinux.org with reasonable suggestions or bugreports.
Added forensic mode taking forensicswiki notes into account.
Reply written ago