- Open Source
- 2 Reviews
- 31 Likes
Postman helps you be more efficient while working with APIs. Postman is a scratch-your-own-itch project. The need for it arose while one of the developers was creating an API for his project. After looking around for a number of tools, nothing felt just right. The primary features added initially were a history of sent requests and collections. A number of other features have been added since then. Here is a small list.
*Create requests quickly*
- Compact layout
- HTTP requests with file upload support
- Formatted API responses for JSON and XML
- Open responses as an HTML file in a new window
- HATEOAS support
- Image previews
- Request history
- Basic and OAuth 1.0 helpers
- Autocomplete for URL and header values
- Key/value editors for adding parameters or header values. Works for URL parameters too.
- Use environment variables to easily shift between settings. Great for testing production, staging or local setups.
- Use Global variables for values which are common throughout APIs
- Use the quick look feature to preview variables and their values before you use them
- Keyboard shortcuts to maximize your productivity
**Document and share APIs**
- Use collections to organize requests and share them quickly using URLs.
- Document requests inside collections. You can even store entire HTML notes. Postman uses Bootstrap so you can use it too to style your notes.
- Download and share collections with your team of developers.
- Improved collection editing in 0.6.3
Collections can be any group of requests. You can save any kind of request by clicking the 'Add to collection' button. While saving the request you can also add a name and a note. There is no limit on the size of the notes so it can be as detailed as possible. Collections can be downloaded and shared as a file.
api api-documentation api-management chrome-extension development rest-api
Make this page better by adding screenshots to Postman.
Good for working with XML APIs like Kronos Workforce CentralSee why people like Postman 😍
How can a tool for developers not let you the choice of where the hell to install it? Thumbs down. [Edited by patheticcockroach, March 19]See why people do not like Postman 😡 Post your review
Good for working with XML APIs like Kronos Workforce Central
gets the job done and I can manage some https request with apis, and change data format / prettify json if needed
have not tried alternatives
I like practically everything about it except that it totally ignores your hosts file which, for me, makes it completely useless. Simple bug, I'm sure it'll be fixed soon. Ooops, the issue was raised on their github page back in september 2016 and the developer has done nothing about it. I guess they just don't care.
How can a tool for developers not let you the choice of where the hell to install it? Thumbs down.
[Edited by patheticcockroach, March 19]
this tool is now a piece of crap, it never works correctly, no matter what url you post to it doesnt care, it always posts to the first url you added in the session, ie make a post url then if you edit the post url it refuses honor the change. abandon ship!!!!