OSMC (Open Source Media Center) is a free and open source media player based on Linux and founded in 2014 that lets you play back media from your local network, attached...
- Free • Open Source
- Media Center
- Audio Player
- Apple TV
- Raspberry Pi
What is OSMC?
OSMC (Open Source Media Center) is a free and open source media player based on Linux and founded in 2014 that lets you play back media from your local network, attached storage and the Internet. OSMC is the leading media center in terms of feature set and community and is based on the Kodi project.
OSMC is the successor of Raspbmc and this is why it's a great upgrade:
- Improved update system — we’ve made our update system much more reliable as well as make it possible to properly schedule and configure update behaviour.
- A faster experience: we’ve built OSMC right from the ground up to ensure it’s faster and more stable than Raspbmc ever was.
- An App Store: our applications store lets you install new features and packages right from your remote. This makes your OSMC system expansive, but it means we don’t ship features people might not need. This ensures OSMC doesn’t get bloated but still gets to expand its featureset.
- It’s cross platform: many of you have been asking for the Raspbmc experience on other devices. OSMC already runs on a variety of different devices and by the end of the year it will run on even more.
Most importantly, we’re still supporting all models of Raspberry Pi, so getting up and running again is quick and simple.
Comments and Reviews
- Operating System
- Audio Player
- Linux Distro
- Video Player
- Software Repository
CategoriesVideo & Movies • OS & Utilities • Audio & Music • Online Services
Lists containing OSMCPrivacy Services (WIP) • Oh My List
Recent user activities on OSMC
- martinligabue added Lightweight as a feature to OSMCma
- martinligabue liked OSMCma
- POX added OSMC as alternative(s) to PlexGuide
I gave this a go on both my Raspberry Pi's, the new version 2 & the old version. I was having trouble with OpenELEC & the version installed through NOOBs so I downloaded & put the version from the OSMC website straight on as the only os. I no longer have any problems, OSMC is much faster than other Kodi distros for the Pi that I've tried, it has such a clean modern look that is totally unique & fitting for the Linux based OS Media Centre, much prettier UI/Skin than even Kodi for PC in my opinion.
If you're having Issues on your raspberry pi's with other Kodi distros than give this a go.
Literally wouldn't play more than one video of any type in a row without total system crash. Lags despite being purpose built for the hardware. UI errors everywhere.
0/10 don't bother, kodi installed on raspbian works better than this garbage.
It can play a video well enough, but if you want to do anything else, including playing that same video by pressing play on a wireless remote, forget it.
OSMC is a mess of deprecated, abandoned software & absolutely no testing. This is a media center OS that can't handle wireless remotes. I mean, really. Just quit.
Even if you go to the hassle of fixing the devs' failures and force this begrudging oaf of an OS to connect to a remote, it'll never reconnect, as the devs didn't care about that either. Did they care about anything?
openElec became Libreelec. xbmc is kodi.
OSMC is better than Kodi (and its terrible forks). OSMC works a lot better on embedded hardware - especially videoplayback. Kodi HD playback on Raspi is better with OSMC.
[Edited by n-----, March 12]
Kodi 17 and later plays nice. TV/PVR is still pretty slow.
Hard disagree, OSMC is much less stable than kodi on raspbian.
Reply written ago