LowRes NX AlternativesGame Development Tools and other similar apps like LowRes NX
PICO-8 is a Lua based fantasy console for programming, sharing and playing tiny games and other computer programs. The app boots to a shell prompt with easy access to scores of game building tools.
- - PICO-8 is the most popular Windows, Mac & Linux alternative to LowRes NX.
- - PICO-8 is the most popular free alternative to LowRes NX.
TIC-80 is a fantasy computer where you can make, play and share tiny games. Comes with built-in tools for development: code, sprites, maps, sound editors and a command line.
- - TIC-80 is the most popular Web-based & Android alternative to LowRes NX.
- - TIC-80 is the most popular Open Source alternative to LowRes NX.
Pixel Vision 8 is a platform that standardizes 8-bit fantasy console limitations built on top of an open source C# SDK. Developers can customize these restrictions to match actual legacy hardware or create something new. It is ideal for game jams, prototyping ideas or having fun.
Pyxel is a retro game engine for Python. Inspired by fantasy consoles like PICO-8, Pyxel imposes graphic and sound limits that provide a retro aesthetic while also greatly simplifying development.
Bitsy is a little editor for little games or worlds. The goal is to make it easy to make games where you can walk around and talk to people and be somewhere.
WASM-4 is a low-level fantasy game console for building small games with WebAssembly. Game cartridges (ROMs) are small, self-contained .wasm files that can be built with any programming language that compiles to WebAssembly.
ZANY80 is a fantasy console built around the Zilog Z80 processor (used in the classic Spectrum Z80 computer).
- - Zany80 is the most popular Self-Hosted alternative to LowRes NX.
BASIC8 is an integrated Fantasy Computer. Create, share and play disks in a modern BASIC dialect. Use built-in tools like sprite, tile and map editor to develop games fast while having fun with retro aesthetics.
- - BASIC8 is the most popular commercial alternative to LowRes NX.