JACK Audio Connection Kit
Sophisticated real-time, low latency routing of audio and MIDI data between apps.
- Free • Open Source
- Audio Router
What is JACK Audio Connection Kit?
JACK is a professional sound server daemon that provides real-time low latency connections for both audio and MIDI data between applications that implement its API. The API can be used through either JACK1 or JACK2.
JACK provides a basic infrastructure for audio applications to communicate with each other and with audio hardware. Through JACK, users are enabled to build powerful systems for signal processing and music production. Jack 1 and Jack 2 are equivalent implementations of the same protocol.
JACK2 aka jackdmp is a C++ version of the JACK low-latency audio server for multi-processor machines. It is a new implementation of the JACK server core features that aims at removing some limitations of the JACK1 design. The activation system has been changed for a data flow model and lock-free programming techniques for graph access have been used to have a more dynamic and robust system.
• uses a new client activation model, that allows simultaneous client execution (on a SMP machine) when parallel clients exist in the graph (client that have the same inputs). This activation model allows to better use available CPU on a smp machine, but also works on mono-processor machine.
• uses a lock-free way to access (read/write) the client graph, thus allowing connections/disconnection to be done without interrupting the audio stream. The result is that connections/disconnections are glitch-free. • can work in two different modes at the server level:
- synchronous activation: in a given cycle, the server waits for all clients to be finished (similar to normal jackd)
- asynchronous activation: in a given cycle, the server does not wait for all clients to be finished and use output buffer computed the previous cycle.
JACK Audio Connection Kit Screenshots
JACK Audio Connection Kit Features
JACK Audio Connection Kit information
- 1,916 Stars
- 358 Forks
- 318 Open Issues
Top JACK Audio Connection Kit apps (extensions / mods etc)
Said about JACK Audio Connection Kit as an alternative
super lite and opensource, also paying attention to latnecy
While JACK Audio involves a more complex setup and needs the server to be started to work, it's functionally the same as it allows audio routing between applications. Routing can be done between any app providing an option to select the JACK Audio driver.
JACK Audio is much more complicated and requires actually starting up the server for routing to take effect but it fundamentally addresses the same issue of routing which Soundflower does.
CategoriesAudio & Music • System & Hardware • Office & Productivity
Recent user activities on JACK Audio Connection Kit
- odeezed liked JACK Audio Connection Kit
- Danilo_Venom edited JACK Audio Connection Kit
- axuttaja added JACK Audio Connection Kit as alternative(s) to Dante Virtual Soundcard
Comments and Reviews Post a comment/review