Features Suggest new and vote on features
Comments and Reviews Post a comment / reviewSort: relevance • date
ImDisk is the best ramdisk I could find for Windows OS.
Lightweight, open source and very functional, ImDisk allow you to create virtual drives (ramdisks) directly on your PC RAM (be careful, all ramdisks data is lost when you shutdown or restart your system).
ImDisk ramdisks are very flexible, able to be extended, saved or deleted after creation.
ImDisk is also able to mount images files like .iso files but this functionality is not the main software job and others programs do it better than ImDisk.
———— My configuration ————
I personally launch a .bat file on the startup of Windows to build a 4Gb B:\ drive (I have 16Gb of RAM).
It allow me to store system temp files (in B:\Cache\Temp), browsers cache (in B:\Cache) and working files contents (directly in B:).
There are many reason to locate cache and temp file on a ramdisk, but if you have a SSD drive and want to grow it lifespan, you should read this page.
How to :
— Auto-launch a 4Gb B:\ drive at your PC startup :
- Create a "ImDisk_Startup.txt" file
- Copy/Past this code :
@echo offif exist "B:\" ( echo B: drive can't be created because it already exist. pause) else ( C:\WINDOWS\system32\imdisk.exe -a -s 4G -m B: -o rem -p "/fs:ntfs /v:Ramdisk /q /y" ping localhost -n 1 > NUL mkdir B:\Cache\Temp\)
- change 4G with 1G if you want a 1Gb drive
- change 4G with 512M if you want a 512Mb drive
- change B: if you want an other drive letter (be careful, it appear 3 times in the code)
- save the file
- rename the file as a .bat file (ImDisk_Startup.bat)
- move the file to "C:\Users\YOUR_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" (Change YOUR_NAME with your username)
- if it doesn't work because of security system or it always display format message box when you startup, change the .bat file location and launch it with a schedule task
Positive comment • more than a year ago
Free & Dynamically allocate ram.
Positive comment • 4 months ago
- And neither does its "brosoftware" ImDiskToolkit.
Stay away from these and try this one:
Negative comment • more than a year ago
CategoriesBackup & Sync • CD/DVD Tools
Lists containing ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver
Links and Download
Summary and Relevance
Our users have written 3 comments and reviews about ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver, and it has gotten 71 likes.
- Developed by Olof Lagerkvist
- Open Source and Free product.