What is Evolution?
Evolution is a personal information management application that provides integrated mail, calendaring, address book and task list functionality. Evolution supports a wide range of industry standard data formats and network protocols for information exchange, with an emphasis on standards compliance and security. Evolution can also integrate smoothly with Microsoft Exchange by way of the “Exchange Web Services” (EWS) extension. Works well with Gmail too.
- E-mail retrieval with the POP and IMAP protocols and e-mail transmission with SMTP.
- Secure network connections encrypted with SSL, TLS and STARTTLS.
- E-mail encryption with GnuPG and S/MIME.
- E-mail filters.
- Search folders, saved searches that look like normal mail folders as an alternative to using filters and search queries.
- Automatic spam filtering with SpamAssassin and Bogofilter.
- Connectivity to Microsoft Exchange Server, Novell GroupWise and Kolab (provided in separate packages as plug-ins).
- Calendar support for the iCalendar file format, the WebDAV and CalDAV standards and Google Calendar.
- Contact management with local address books, LDAP and Google address books.
- Synchronization via SyncML with SyncEvolution and with Palm OS devices via gnome-pilot.
- Evolution's address books can be used as a data source in LibreOffice.
- An RSS reader plug-in.