The most popular alternative is Signal, which is both free and Open Source. If that doesn't suit you, our users have ranked 43 alternatives to Bitmessage so hopefully you can find a suitable replacement. Other interesting Bitmessage alternatives are Element (Freemium, Open Source), Tox (Free, Open Source), Jami (Free, Open Source) and RetroShare (Free, Open Source).
- Using Signal, you can communicate instantly while avoiding SMS fees, create groups so that you can chat in real time with all your friends at once, and share media or attachments...
- A free instant messaging and collaboration software based on the Matrix protocol.
- Send messages, files, create groups and make Tox to Tox audio and video calls. Securely.
- Voice, video and chat communications, secure, decentralized, strong privacy and freedoms.
- RetroShare is a open source cross-platform, private and secure decentralized communication system. It lets you to securely chat, share photos, videos, and more, using...
- A secure, end-to-end encrypted Swiss instant messenger with a focus on privacy.
- Adium is a free and open source instant messaging application for Mac OS X, written using Mac OS Xs Cocoa API, released under the GNU GPL and developed by the Adium team.
- ChatSecure is a free and open source messaging app that features OTR encryption over XMPP.
- Wickr is a free end-to-end encrypted text, video, picture and voice messenger with full sender control.
- The goal of Gajim is to provide a full featured and easy to use XMPP client. Gajim works nicely with GNOME, but does not require it to run.