Unicode Character Map for Windows
- Free • Proprietary
What is BabelMap?
BabelMap is a free character map application for Windows that allows you to browse through the entire Unicode character repertoire of over 107,000 characters, or search for a particular character by name or by code point. Characters can then be copied to the clipboard for use in any Unicode-aware application. It also provides many useful features and special utilities, as described below. BabelMap always supports the most recent version of the Unicode Standard, currently Unicode 5.2.
- Unicode Character Grid showing all 107,361 assigned characters and 137,468 private use characters in Unicode 5.2.
- Select any Unicode block in Planes 0, 1, 2, 14, 15 and 16 from a dropdown list.
- View characters in the edit buffer as Unicode characters or as NCR or UCN entities.
- Browse the entire Unicode character repertoire using a single font, or use a user-defined virtual composite font which maps particular Unicode blocks to particular fonts (ability to save and load different composite font mappings).
- Paste Unicode text from the clipboard into the edit buffer (any NCR codes will be automatically converted to Unicode characters).
- Magnify any character in the Unicode Character Grid by right-clicking on it.
- Find a character by Unicode hexadecimal or decimal codepoint value.
- Search (backwards and forwards through the Unicode Grid) for characters by full or partial name.
- Browse through Unicode Grid by plane, block or page of 128 characters.
- For CJK Unified Ideographs blocks, browse by radical.
- Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean or Vietnamese readings displayed for currently selected CJK unified ideograph (choice of language to show is user selectable).
- Copy selected characters to clipboard, for inserting into any Unicode application.
- Save selected characters to file in UTF-8, UTF-16 (Big or Little Endian) or UTF-32 (Big or Little Endian) encoding.
- Choice of two sizes of dialogue boxes available
Comments and Reviews
It's the best complete UNICODE character map solution, free and easy to setup and use.
Comodo reports it as containing a Trojan. Menu bars are pretty clunky.
Comodo never been among best or even mediocre antiviruses. The file is clean. Menu is standard Win32 menu, so if any clumsiness, it's your OS. https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/585e5496b161b300e0c347505f3c3111fa175ac6416fb5841e223343685e1aae/detection
Reply written ago
When you look for a character rather than for a specific font, it is more convenient than the standard Character Map in Windows.
A great app with lot of features like character search, unicode ranges, covering fonts.