Atom Alternatives for Chrome OS
Visual Studio Code is a free and extensible code editor for building web, desktop, and mobile applications, using any programming language and framework.
Suggest and vote on features
- - Visual Studio Code is the most popular Web-based, Windows, Mac & Linux alternative to Atom.
- - Visual Studio Code is the most popular Open Source & free alternative to Atom.
Visual Studio Code Features
- Extensible by Plugins/ExtensionsVisual Studio Code can be extended with add-ons, plugins and extensions.
- AutocompletionVisual Studio Code can predict and complete the rest of a word or phrase you're typing.
- Syntax HighlightingVisual Studio Code supports syntax highlighting for various programming and markup languages.
- Git SupportVisual Studio Code supports Git, a free and open source distributed version control system.
- Support for ThemesYou can use themes and templates to change the look and feel of Visual Studio Code.
- Dark ModeVisual Studio Code supports dark mode for comfortable usage in low light conditions.
- Support for MarkDownVisual Studio Code supports MarkDown for document formatting.
- WYSIWYG HTML EditorVisual Studio Code allows you to make and preview changes to an application or website in real time, without needing to know code.
- Live PreviewInstantly see what your files and documents look like as you create them.
Comments about Visual Studio Code as a Alternative to AtomMost users think Visual Studio Code is a great Atom alternative.all • positive • negative relevance • date
VS Code has arguably better defaults than Atom especially with the pre-configured minimap. Atom's themes use HTML/CSS so visuals are fully configurable but that also makes it a bit slower with drawing operations whereas VS Code draws everything fast, very noticeable with the minimap which reacts practically instantly to changes. VS Code also loads faster and just feels faster in general. Otherwise, both editors offer a massive list of great features and droves of extensions.1
Much much faster, much better IntelliSense/context-aware suggestions. Even supports debugging.5
The best of the best, at least right now.-3
Makes everything easier, faster.0Guest
Much faster, highly active development phase, more and more add-ons are added to the marketplace, open source, and cross-platform.10Show more comments ▾5 of 9 comments
Official text editor of the GNOME desktop environment. Has syntax highlighting and is suitable for programming, with support for several languages. It is extensible with plugins.Suggest and vote on features
- Lightweightgedit consumes less device resources compared to similar apps.
- Syntax Highlightinggedit supports syntax highlighting for various programming and markup languages.
- Extensible by Plugins/Extensionsgedit can be extended with add-ons, plugins and extensions.
- Spell Checkinggedit can detect and correct all types of grammar and spelling mistakes.
- Ad-freegedit doesn't contain any form of external advertising.
- Autocompletiongedit can predict and complete the rest of a word or phrase you're typing.
- Works Offlinegedit can be used without the need to connect to the internet.
- Privacy focusedgedit is considered a privacy friendly alternative.
Opinions about gedit as a Alternative to AtomMost users think gedit is a great Atom alternative.
Pulsar, or sometimes referred to as Pulsar-Edit is a new image of the beloved 'Hackable Text Editor' Atom.Suggest and vote on features
Pulsar Editor Features
- Extensible by Plugins/ExtensionsPulsar Editor can be extended with add-ons, plugins and extensions.
- No registration requiredYou can use most of the features in Pulsar Editor without registration.
- Works OfflinePulsar Editor can be used without the need to connect to the internet.
- Support for MarkDownPulsar Editor supports MarkDown for document formatting.
- Ad-freePulsar Editor doesn't contain any form of external advertising.
- Git SupportPulsar Editor supports Git, a free and open source distributed version control system.
- Support for ThemesYou can use themes and templates to change the look and feel of Pulsar Editor.
- Distraction-freePulsar Editor has a distraction-free mode for when you need to focus.
- No TrackingPulsar Editor will not track you or use your personal data.
Comments about Pulsar Editor as a Alternative to Atompros, cons and recent comments
Pulsar is the spiritual successor to Atom.1
Pulsar is the continuation of atom. It's based off the atom codebase, it just no longer has GitHub development money.1
Zed is a fully offline-capable text and code editor you can use to edit files locally, on Dropbox, or remotely on any server. It has all the code editor features you'd expect and more:Suggest and vote on features
Zed Code Editor FeaturesDiscontinued
No code committed in eight years. Linked website has no mention of any code editor.
Caret is a lightweight-but-powerful programmer's editor running as a Chrome Packaged App. Inspired by Sublime and built on top of the Ace editing component, it offers:Suggest and vote on features
Comments about Caret as a Alternative to Atompros, cons and recent comments
Easy to use. Lots of useful features. Light and fast0
Builder is an IDE for GNOME that is focused on bringing the power of the platform to more developers than ever before.Suggest and vote on features
GNOME Builder Features
- LightweightGNOME Builder consumes less device resources compared to similar apps.
- Dark ModeGNOME Builder supports dark mode for comfortable usage in low light conditions.
- AutocompletionGNOME Builder can predict and complete the rest of a word or phrase you're typing.
- Support for MarkDownGNOME Builder supports MarkDown for document formatting.
Comments about GNOME Builder as a Alternative to Atompros, cons and recent comments
Does not rely on Electron. Loads of plugins and tweaks make this a great IDE. Simple design as you'd expect from a Gnome app, but don't let that disract you from how powerful it is.1
Text.app is a simple text editor for Chrome OS and Chrome. It's fast, lets you open multiple files at once, has syntax highlighting, and saves to Google Drive on Chrome OS.Suggest and vote on features