Archive.today allows you to "take a photo" of a webpage that will always be available even if the original page changes or is deleted.
- Free • Proprietary
What is Archive.today?
Archive.today (or archive.is) allows you to "take a photo" of a webpage that will always be available even if the original page changes or is deleted.
Archive.is saves both a textual and graphical (1024x768) copy of the page (for accuracy) and provides a short URL. Unlike other services, it can also archive the following type of pages:
- hashtag pages from Web2.0 sites, e.g. https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23nowplaying
- 404 pages
- pages forbidden by robots.txt rules
- httpS pages
Archive.is has opaque URLs for individual snapshots (e.g. http://archive.is/n9Yb) but transparent URLs for all public snapshots of a given URL (e.g. http://archive.is/http://twitter.com/%23!/medvedevrussia)
Scripts are disabled, reportedly to prevent pop-ups or malware, but in practice this results in legitimate sites not functioning after archiving (e.g. Google Maps), which can often be an intended benefit (where would the map image come from if you panned left in Google Maps?)
Archive.is also lists a live feed of all URLs archived, so your archive may be public; however, since archive.is doesn't require a login, and the URL you archive must be public to begin with, this is not a privacy concern.
Comments and Reviews
- Web Archiving
- URL Shortener
- Online Backup
CategoriesBackup & Sync • Education & Reference • Photos & Graphics • Online Services
List containing Archive.todayWebsites with .onion available
Recent user activities on Archive.today
- riveravaldez thinks Wayback Machine is an alternative to Archive.today
- riveravaldez liked Archive.today
- CyaniWynd liked Archive.todayCy
If you are a webdeveloper you should know about this app. Because its important to save your work in the event the company you work for decides to change website you work on etc (saving portfolio)
Also, for saving webpages, its best in its class
Alternatives are like SingleFile which works on the client side, but is not exactly 100% reliable though and is better for things behind login paywalls
Otherwise, archive.is is best in class for server-based downloading of webpages
Its also support by Reddit Enhancement Suite as well, many times used to save someones deleted twitter, reddit, or facebook posts, etc
Is similar to app Wayback Machine
Also other pros: You can download entire zip file of a webpage too. Super useful if you want a non-online version of notes stored on your mobile phone, perhaps you have job interview and need to show portfolio but have no internet in some locations, etc. Useful for versioning control data as well too
You can search for keywords inside their archives using this query into google : site:archive.is
A few facts : According to google, archive.is has (probably) more than 1 Million webpages saved since 2012. On feb 2015, total storage used is about 200 Tb. http://blog.archive.is/post/111780063961/how-much-storage-is-archive-today-using-currently Archive.is is funded by an individual who pays $2,000/month (jan 2014) to run it (no ads for now)! http://blog.archive.is/post/72136308644/how-much-does-it-cost-you-to-host-a-website-of Each webpage saved can't be bigger than 50 MB each.
It is down for me, a Cloudflare error, it has been like this for a while now.
[Edited by MrGoatsy, August 13]
It seems to be completely gone now.
While not as many snapshots as archive.org, it has a greater focus on exposition websites which have been removed from their host, especially through censorship. You can find some crazy sh*t on this one, i love it! Try it, you will see what I'm talking about, its super fun searching their archives, guaranteed to learn something new; just dont allow yourselves to be gaslit as disinformation does also exist on it. Tred carefully, keep an open mind but use logic.
That get down rip
has copies of things people remove from internet, but that are needed to get full pic
• No censorship. Archive.today (AT) does NOT censor archived legal content :) Compare to Wayback Machine (WB) which has a long history of censoring archived legal content :( • Free • Fast
• Weaker security and weaker privacy than ArchiveBox (AB) at https://archivebox.io ___• Why better is AB better? Because AB software as stronger security & stronger privacy. Why? Because AB code is open source. This means that it is available for both public review & contributions. Compare to AT and WB which have weaker security & weaker privacy. As they are not open source. • Not able to fully archive most types of PDF files. Only a few types.
• Archive Today (AT) ___• https://archive.today ___• https://twitter.com/archiveis ___• https://blog.archive.today