As of January 15th, 2021, Wikipedia is now 20 years old
The globally recognized Internet encyclopedia Wikipedia is celebrating its 20th anniversary today, originally launching on January 15th, 2001.
As of January 13th, 2021, the English version of Wikipedia has been edited over a billion times across its over 6 million (and growing) articles. This forms what Wikipedia itself describes as "the largest collection of open knowledge in history." Alongside this, the Wikimedia Foundation put out several statistics on its official 20th anniversary page for Wikipedia.
These statistics include:
• Over 280,000 people edit Wikipedia every month
• Page loads by humans on Wikipedia average 21 billion every month
• 2006 saw the creation of English Wikipedia's 1 millionth article
• Wikipedia became the fifth most popular website in 2017 according to Alexa
• 50 million articles had been created across Wikipedia's 300 supported languages in 2019
In addition to these statistics, the Wikimedia Foundation also launched a page dedicated to showing each year's most viewed and most edited articles across its 7 largest language encyclopedias (with 2020's data only going until November 19th in order to be compiled in time for the organization and publication of the page).
Wikipedia continues to be freely available at www.wikipedia.org .