A List Of Privacy Focused Search Engines
Searx is a free internet metasearch engine which aggregates results from more than 70 search services. Users are neither tracked nor profiled. Additionally, searx can be used over Tor for online anonymity.
Why use Searx?
- Searx may not offer you as personalised results as Google, but it doesn't generate a profile about you
- Searx doesn't care about what you search for, never shares anything with a third party, and it can't be used to compromise you
- Searx is free software, the code is 100% open and you can help to make it better. See more on GitHub
If you do care about privacy, want to be a conscious user, or otherwise believe in digital freedom, make Searx your default search engine or run it on your own server
Technical details - How does it work?
Searx is a metasearch engine, inspired by the seeks project. It provides basic privacy by mixing your queries with searches on other platforms without storing search data. Queries are made using a POST request on every browser (except chrome*). Therefore they show up in neither our logs, nor your URL history. In case of Chrome* users there is an exception, Searx uses the search bar to perform GET requests. Searx can be added to your browser's search bar; moreover, it can be set as the default search engine.
YaCy is a free search engine that anyone can use to build a search portal for their intranet or to help search the public internet. When contributing to the world-wide peer network, the scale of YaCy is limited only by the number of users in the world and can index billions of web pages. It is fully decentralized, all users of the search engine network are equal, the network does not store user search requests and it is not possible for anyone to censor the content of the shared index.
DuckDuckGo is an alternative search engine that has rich features, respects your privacy, and is built from free/open-source software.
• Zero-click Info - Useful information above the links. • More Privacy - We do not track you. • Goodies - Instant answers, !bangs & settings. • Less Spam - We remove sites with just ads.
MetaGer is an open source metasearch engine focused on protecting users' privacy. Based in Germany, and hosted as a cooperation between the German NGO 'SUMA-EV - Association for Free Access to Knowledge' and the University of Hannover, the system is built on 24 small-scale web crawlers under MetaGer's own control. In September 2013, MetaGer launched MetaGer.net, an English-language version of their search engine.
Features: • Libre Source (Open Source). If you are not familiar with "Libre Source", it means this software has both stronger security & stronger privacy. Because its code is publicly available for review and contributions on GitLab at https://gitlab.metager.de/open-source/MetaGer • Attractive GNU General Public version 3 & MIT licenses. This means the software code is owned and supported by a friendly not-for-profit community. Instead of a for-profit corporation. • No censorship by combining the results of multiple search engines • Algorithms are transparent and available for everyone to read • Run by a Nonprofit Organization • Powered by 100% renewable energy • Optional, dark theme
Swisscows is the data-safe search engine and the absolute alternative to Google. Swisscows does not monitor and does not store any data. In addition, Swisscows is family-friendly and child-friendly, unlike Startpage and Duckduckgo. Swisscows does not provide any results with pornographic content.
Brave Search is built on top of a completely independent index, and doesn’t track users, their searches, or their clicks.
Brave Search is available in beta release globally on all Brave browsers (desktop, Android, and iOS) as one of the search options alongside other search engines, and will become the default search in the Brave browser later. It is also available from any other browser.
Brave Search is different from other search engines because it uses its own index and follows different principles:
- Privacy: no tracking or profiling of users.
- User-first: the user comes first, not the advertising and data industries.
- Independence: Brave has its own search index for answering common queries privately without reliance on other providers.
- Choice: soon, options for ad-free paid search and ad-supported search. (Sometime in early 2022, Brave Search results will include paid ads (delivered, of course, in a way that protects privacy). Users with a Brave Search Premium subscription will see ad-free search results)
- Transparency: no secret methods or algorithms to bias results, and soon, community-curated open ranking models to ensure diversity and prevent algorithmic biases and outright censorship.
- Seamlessness: best-in-class integration between the browser and search without compromising privacy, from personalization to instant results as the user types.
- Openness: Brave Search will soon be available to power other search engines.
Brave Search uses its own index, but also ensures fully anonymous search, is transparent in how search results are ranked, and integrates with a privacy-preserving browser on desktop and mobile – an across-the-board combination of independence and privacy which no other provider offers.
Brave Search is also introducing the industry’s first search independence metric, displaying the ratio of results coming exclusively from Brave’s index. It is derived privately using the user’s browser as we do not build user profiles. Users can check this aggregate metric to verify the independence of their results and see how results are powered by our own index, or if third-parties are being used.
Founded in 1996 as the first ever German search engine, Fireball is a search engine from Munich, Germany which is operated by Fireball Labs GmbH. Fireball mainly relys on Bing results these days and Fireball is privacy-focused.
Ecosia is a green search engine that donates at least 80% of its profits from search ad revenue and online shopping to a reforestation program, currently in Burkina Faso. In November 2015 Ecosia celebrated 3 million planted trees and $5 Million donated for the environment. Ecosia is also available on mobile, find the app in the Google Play Store or the iOS App Store.
Qwant is a European web search engine, launched in July 2013 and operated from Paris. It is the only EU-based search engine with its own indexing engine. It claims not to employ user tracking and doesn't personalize search results in order to avoid trapping users in a filter bubble. It is available in 13 languages.
Privacy oriented search engine.
Mojeek, the alternative search engine that puts the people who use it first.
We like to do things differently...
That's why we're on a mission to build the world's alternative search engine; a search engine that does what's right, that values and respects your privacy, whilst providing its own unique and unbiased search results.
Search is often considered the gateway to the Web, which is why we believe it's critical that choices exist, choices that take a different approach. By putting the people who use Mojeek first and using technology built from the ground-up, we're here to offer that choice.
• Search that doesn't follow you around • Independent and Unbiased Search Results • Search technology created from the ground up • Hosted and run from the UK's greenest data centre