Platforming games focus on maneuvering through tricky environments that are oftentimes filled with enemies, obstacles, and myriads of other hazards to prevent you from completing a level or otherwise overcoming the challenges set. A mastery of control, timing, and patience is required in order to ensure that you can face the trials that this genre presents.
- SuperTux is a classic 2D jump'n run sidescroller game in a style similar to the original Super Mario games.
- Limbo (stylized as LIMBO) is a puzzle-platform video game and the premiere title of independent Danish game developer Playdead.
- Cave Story, or Dokutsu Monogatari, is a Japanese freeware Metroidvania side-scrolling Metroidvania platform-adventure game developed by Studio Pixel . It has been translated into English by Aeon Genesis Translations.
- Descend into the DarkVenture down into a beautiful, ruined world of insects and heroesAtmospheric Exploration
- Super Meat Boy is a platform game developed by Team Meat and is the successor to Edmund McMillen's and Jonathan McEntee's flash game, Meat Boy, originally released on the...
- Mari0 is an open source fan-made video game that combines elements of the video games Super Mario Bros and Portal.
- Celeste is a platforming video game by Canadian video game developers Matt Thorson and Noel Berry. The game was originally created as a prototype in four days during a game jam, and later expanded into a full release.
- FEZ is a game developed by POLYTRON. In it, you play as Gomez, a 2D creature living in what he believes is a 2D world.
- Rayman is a platform video game series created by Michel Ancel and owned by Ubisoft.
- The dark and eerie sequel to the hit platformer game, Limbo.
- Cuphead is a classic run and gun action game heavily focused on boss battles.
- A roguelike, Castlevania-inspired, action-platformer, Dead Cells allows you to explore a sprawling, ever-changing castle, unlock new gear and gain access to unreachable areas.
- [Frogatto & Friends is free and open source on Windows and Linux, on the other platforms it costs $4.99].
- Prince of Persia is a video game franchise created by Jordan Mechner, originally developed and published by Brøderbund, then the Learning Company, and currently Ubisoft.
- This is a free and open source game engine and toolkit allowing you to create games of the platforming genre.