Open Source XChat for Linux AlternativesIRC Clients and other similar apps like XChat for Linux
Pidgin is a chat program which lets you log into accounts on multiple chat networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on XMPP and sitting in an IRC channel at the same time.
Suggest and vote on features
- - Pidgin is the most popular Windows, Mac & Linux alternative to XChat for Linux.
- - Pidgin is the most popular Open Source & free alternative to XChat for Linux.
- Extensible by Plugins/ExtensionsPidgin can be extended with add-ons, plugins and extensions.
- Multiple Account supportPidgin support multiple accounts without the need to logout and login
- PortablePidgin can be used from a USB stick or similar with no prior installation.
- No TrackingPidgin will not track you or use your personal data.
- Ad-freePidgin doesn't contain any form of external advertising.
- VoiP CallsPidgin allows you to make voice calls over Internet using the Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP).
Web-browser, advanced e-mail, newsgroup and feed client, IRC chat, and HTML editing in one application. Itis built on the open source Mozilla Gecko engine, the same code which underlies Thunderbird and is the base for the Firefox browser.Suggest and vote on features
- WYSIWYG SupportSeaMonkey integrates a WYSIWYG editor to edit the look and content of a document, page, or file.
- LightweightSeaMonkey consumes less device resources compared to similar apps.
- Privacy focusedSeaMonkey is considered a privacy friendly alternative.
- PortableSeaMonkey can be used from a USB stick or similar with no prior installation.
- Extensible by Plugins/ExtensionsSeaMonkey can be extended with add-ons, plugins and extensions.
- Ad-freeSeaMonkey doesn't contain any form of external advertising.
HexChat is an IRC client based on XChat for Linux , but unlike XChat it’s completely free for both Windows and Unix-like systems.Suggest and vote on features
The version 2.16.2 is the final version of the software. The author announced that "The project has largely been unmaintained for years now and nobody else stepped up to do that work."
Comments about HexChat as a Alternative to XChat for LinuxAlmost everyone thinks HexChat is a great XChat for Linux alternative.Guest
Based off of the XChat codebase.
Updated and actively developed.
It is a near "drop in" replacement.0
WeeChat is a free chat client, fast and light, designed for many operating systems. It is highly customizable and extensible with scripts.Suggest and vote on features
- Command line interfaceWeeChat either have CLI support or is a CLI-only app.
- Extensible by Plugins/ExtensionsWeeChat can be extended with add-ons, plugins and extensions.
- Support for ThemesYou can use themes and templates to change the look and feel of WeeChat.
- No registration requiredYou can use most of the features in WeeChat without registration.
- DecentralizedWeeChat is based on a decentralized infrastructure with no single entity controlling it.
- Support for @mentionsWeeChat supports the use of mentions through @ to a particular user, who will be notified personally.
- LightweightWeeChat consumes less device resources compared to similar apps.
- No TrackingWeeChat will not track you or use your personal data.
- Ad-freeWeeChat doesn't contain any form of external advertising.
Quassel IRC is a modern, cross-platform, distributed IRC client based on the Qt5 framework. Distributed means that one (or multiple) client(s) can attach to and detach from a central core that stays permanently online -- much like the popular combination of screen and a...
KVIrc is a free portable IRC client based on the excellent Qt GUI toolkit. KVirc is being written by Szymon Stefanek and the KVIrc Development Team with the contribution of many IRC addicted developers around the world.Suggest and vote on features
A hand-crafted IRC client that you can enjoy. Designed to be used easily and freely. More friendly than other webirc clients giving the general public an easy option to connect to any IRC network.
- - Kiwi IRC is the most popular Web-based & Self-Hosted alternative to XChat for Linux.
Konversation is an IRC client which gives you speedy access to Freenode network's channels, where you will find support for most distributions.
ChatZilla is a clean, easy to use and highly extensible Internet Relay Chat (IRC) client, built on the Mozilla platform, which provides all the usual features: multiple servers, a built-in list of standard networks, easy searching and sorting of available channels, logging, and...Discontinued
Discontinued since 2017. From their website: “With the release of Firefox 57 (Firefox Quantum), it is no longer possible for ChatZilla to work as an extension in Firefox.”
Comments about Chatzilla as a Alternative to XChat for Linuxpros, cons and recent commentsGuest
While not a drop in replacement, ChatZilla is lighter and installs as a browser add-on.
It is HTML5 based and will run on any platform that has a Mozzila-Based Browser that uses XPI extensions, such as Firefox. (This includes several Mobile platforms.)0
Polari is an Internet Relay Chat (IRC) client designed for GNOME 3.Suggest and vote on features
An IRC-like internet chatroom hosted on ZeroNet, a distributed network. 0rc is a fully distributed website, and messages are shared through peers using the ZeroNet stack. In addition, making a new chatroom website is a simple as downloading the files and cloning the site.Suggest and vote on features
Last update on github made over 5 years (March 13, 2016).