- Open Source
- 46 Reviews
- 1456 Likes
WiX allows anyone to develop flash websites for fun, business or hobby. With WiX anyone can create an amazing flash website in just minutes.
Wix is the simpler, faster, better way to create stunning web content. Make a Flash website just the way you want it, add stunning free content or upload your own
- No downloads or programming needed
- Creating a website with Wix is free
- Simple drag & drop interface
- Thousands of free, fully customizable Flash templates
Subscription that costs between $5 and $35. Price may vary depending on commitment and so on.
Wix is also a platform with 14 apps listed on AlternativeTo. Browse all 14 apps for Wix.
Make this page better by adding screenshots to Wix.
Honestly, this sucks. you can only do a simple, very simple site, no protection or back up... it's a NO from me.
• Wix have WEAK ethic. According to both Matt Mullenweg and Matt Jacobs, Wix stole code from an open source community. This means that Wix violated the software license. Which is an abusive behavior. Thus Wix have weak ethic. Sources:
• Wix is own by a for-profit corporation. It is not owned by a not-for-profit community. Usually a corporation first priority is to hoard money. Not serve you and protect your privacy.
• Easy to use
• I do NOT trust Wix. Unfortunately some people choose to use Wix for their e-commerce services. Maybe they did not know about Wix's weak ethic. So I occasionally and TEMPORARILY allow access to Wix domain names. After I am done I block any domains name related to Wix.
• If you need software from a company with stronger ethic, I suggest to try any other software. Such as Drupal Commerce, WooCommerce (commerce on WordPress), Shopify, or any other software to your liking.
• Wix domain name is owned by the for profit corporation "Wix.com, Inc." Source at https://gwhois.org/parastorage.com+dns
• Wix is an Israeli cloud-based web development platform that was first developed and popularized by the Israeli company also called Wix. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wix.com
[Edited by Francewhoa, December 25]
I run wappylzer and builtwith plugins on chrome to analyze what websites run which platform
Can't remember any time at all that I've ever seen a good looking optimized wix platform
Wix also produces some of the most atrocious looking HTML/CSS I've ever seen as well
WYISWYG (what you see is what you get) looks good at face value... not so much elsewhere
The main problem is that it is not possible to create backup of your site, if you use HTML5 sites.
Not for Medium-Large businesses, or anyone. Their sites are over a second slower than Squarespace and Shopify. Bad Amazon/Ebay integrations. Requires hijacking your naked domain for no reason. Poor scaling on small laptops. Terrible performance on slow laptops/phones.
Really good if you want to make a simple website! If you wan't to make more complicated one than I recommend Wordpress, and a VPS host.
[NDAS is not a competitor in the hosting / auto-site industry as are other reviewers herein.]
We found the system highly problematic and tech support lacking in knowledge of web code. In addition, any solution offered (usually avoiding code topics) involved compromising the user's own privacy / security, often without achieving a successful solution. Too much suspicious interest in the type of browser used, which is also a sign of (1) lack of knowledge and or (2) a wish to compromise / track / collect user information.
Tech support also showed signs of being overburden (?) as response to initial queries took hours. Acceptable BUT when given extensive specifics about a problem to speed up the process... the wait time increased x5 or more.
[Edited by ndas1, September 28]
Easy to use, single pane of glass for simple websites.
The interface is slick and user friendly, you can intuitively find your way through.
There is also an online forum that I quickly found answers to my questions.
There are beautiful templates for every type of web site that you can pick and start from that.
The only [trivial] issue I have encountered so far is too many pages open up when trying to edit or create a new page; having said that I am really impressed with Wix in overal.
[Edited by Reza, December 18]