The most popular alternative is i3, which is both free and Open Source. If that doesn't suit you, our users have ranked 25 alternatives to Fluxbox so hopefully you can find a suitable replacement. Other interesting Fluxbox alternatives are Openbox (Free, Open Source), awesome (Free, Open Source), Xmonad (Free, Open Source) and Amethyst (Free, Open Source).
- spectrwm is a small dynamic tiling window manager for X11. It tries to stay out of the way so that valuable screen real estate can be used for much more important stuff.
- pekwm is a window manager that once up on a time was based on the aewm++ window manager, but it has evolved enough that it no longer resembles aewm++ at all.
- Lumina is a lightweight, BSD licensed, standards-compliant desktop environment based upon Qt and Fluxbox. It is being developed on PC-BSD, and is being packaged for distribution on the PC-BSD package repository as well .
- The Fast Light Window Manager is a small stacking FLTK-based window manager written in C++ and available for redistribution under the terms of the GNU General Public Licence.
- JWM is a light-weight window manager for the X11 Window System. JWM is written in C and uses only Xlib at a minimum.
- A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning.
- Ratpoison is a simple window manager with no fat library dependencies, no fancy graphics, no window decorations, and no rodent dependence.
- wmii is a small, dynamic window manager for X11. It is scriptable, has a 9p filesystem interface and supports classic and tiling (acme-like) window management.
- WMFS² is a lightweight and highly configurable tiling window manager for X written in C. WMFS² is a free software distributed under the BSD license.