CKEditor is an open source WYSIWYG rich text editor and collaboration solution designed to bring common word processor features directly to web pages, simplifying their content creation.
With an aim to meet and satisfy any potential use case, a product portfolio of editors have been created and includes:
> CKEditor 5 Builds
> CKEditor 5 Framework
> CKEditor 4
CKEditor 4 is a browser-based rich text editor, with a plug-in architecture, which serves as a battle-tested editor, when multiple features and legacy compatibility is needed. More Info »
CKEditor 5 is a totally new rich text editor written from scratch in ES6 with a modern approach to API, UI, behavior and features. Its custom data model enables possibilities like real-time collaboration and other powerful text editing features.
CKEditor 5 offers 2 types of solutions:
- CKEditor 5 Builds, a set of ready to use rich-text editors, so called the ‘builds’.
- CKEditor 5 Framework, which provides all the components necessary for the creation of any kind of text editing solution.
There are currently 3 ready-to-use CKEditor 5 Builds available to suit your different needs.
* Classic Editor (the classic “boxed” editing interface with a toolbar at the top).
* Inline Editor (a floating toolbar attached to the content of the page).
* Balloon Editor (displays the toolbar when text is selected).
In comparison, the CKEditor 5 Framework brings out of the box solutions available to use in many different contexts. In case a developer wants to create their own editor, it gives full control over every aspect of the editor, from UI to features, and the possibility to enable real-time collaborative editing inside the editor.