What is BirdReader?
birdreader - Home-made, Open-source Google Reader replacement powered by Node.js and CouchDB (Cloudant). Allows importing of Google Reader feeds, tagging, searching, favouriting and social media links.
BirdReader is designed to be installed on your own webserver or laptop, running Node.js. e.g.
on an old PC on a cloud server e.g. AWS Micro server (free!) on a Raspberry Pi
import your old Google Reader subscriptions fetches RSS every 5 minutes web-based aggregated newsfeed
- mark articles as read
- delete articles without reading
- 'star' articles
- add a new feed
- sorted in newest-first order
- bootstrap-based, responsive layout
- tagging/untagging of feeds
- Twitter/Facebook sharing
- basic HTTP authentication (optional)
- filter read/unread/starred streams by tag
- filter read/unread/starred streams by feed
- full-text search
- icons for feeds and articles
- expand all
- browse-mode - go through unread articles one-by-one, full screen